• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Spark

Global Moderator
First movement at the sightcreen disruption and we haven't even started.

I really don't think opening will make much difference for Smith when it's that squaring up that it such a salient problem. He should at least try playing his shots. Saw someone theorising a few weeks ago that part of his problem is that his elbow injury has reduced his ability to play pressure release shots behind square on the off side.
That was me and it was the hand injury I was worried about but yes - look at his great peak innings and you'll invariably see a lot of drives very square on the offside with an open face. It has to be a proper half volley for him to hit that shot now and even then it usually goes through extra cover.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That was me and it was the hand injury I was worried about but yes - look at his great peak innings and you'll invariably see a lot of drives very square on the offside with an open face. It has to be a proper half volley for him to hit that shot now and even then it usually goes through extra cover.
No, I saw someone say it on another forum. It's a shot you pretty much never see from him anymore. I think he played one I can remember against Pakistan. Doesn't play the cut anymore either.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Touring teams just seem to drop catches in Australia early in innings way more than other places for whatever reason.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
I think it'll be an upset if West Indies lose this Test owing to the fact that they now have more than one Joseph.

Spark

Global Moderator
Touring teams just seem to drop catches in Australia early in innings way more than other places for whatever reason.
Which is bizarre because if you'd nominate a place where it should be easy for the keeper and cordon it should be Australia, and England should be where touring teams struggle.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Which is bizarre because if you'd nominate a place where it should be easy for the keeper and cordon it should be Australia, and England should be where touring teams struggle.
maybe the extra bounce and how the ball comes off the bat in aus just ****s with them?

Spark

Global Moderator
maybe the extra bounce and how the ball comes off the bat in aus just ****s with them?
But like the reason high bounce is supposed to make it easier is because you get more time. Surely that matters more than anything else.

Mind you, given the pudding nature of this thing...

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith looks alot more confident scoring vs the short stuff when the ball is new and coming on really well, compared to his recent time at 4. This move may just be what he needed.

TheJediBrah

Smith looks alot more confident scoring vs the short stuff when the ball is new and coming on really well, compared to his recent time at 4. This move may just be what he needed.
It's different when they're coming hip height and slightly outside off, rather than at his head/shoulder with men out behind square tbf

TheJediBrah

With the ball going across Khawaja and 5 men waiting in the cordon he needs to put away the straight bat block and start slog sweeping everything IMO