• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean how? Honestly, what is wrong with the definitions as given both for the new guidelines or the older ones?
The fact that they seem to suggest its not a good pitch if it turns on the first day and yet its fine if it swings and seams and bounces?

Xix2565

International Regular
The fact that they seem to suggest its not a good pitch if it turns on the first day and yet its fine if it swings and seams and bounces?
They don't, that is primarily on the Anglo-spheric broadcasters/pundits/writers for peddling that nonsense. The ICC is fine with turn on day 1, else they wouldn't put it as part of what is allowed in their Good ratings.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Spark

Global Moderator

Spark

Global Moderator
Here's the clarifications:

It is recognised that a limited amount of seam movement is acceptable early in the match and that a pitch may develop some unevenness of bounce for seam bowlers as the match progresses. This is acceptable but should not develop to a point where they would be described as “excessive”.

It is acceptable for a pitch to offer some degree of turn on the first day of a match, particularly in the sub-continent, though anything more than occasional unevenness of bounce at this stage of the match is not acceptable. It is to be expected that a pitch will turn steadily more as a match progresses, and it is recognised that a greater degree of unevenness of bounce may develop.

It is impossible to quantify the amount that a ball is “allowed” to turn as bowlers will turn the ball differing amounts. The type and identity of bowler shall be taken into account when assessing this factor.

In no circumstances should the pitch ‘explode’.
If there is an issue with this it's that it's all hilariously vague and up to individual judgement and interpretation.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
oh lovely the pitch whinging has already started
One person comments on one poor pitch in one series and you call it 'whinging'. The consensus is that home sides are expected to prepare pitches that their players have more experience on. All nations do it. It's the occasional shocker that arouses the ire of some ... and rightly so.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Whats the India squad likely to be

jaiswal
Rohit
Gill
Kohli
Iyer/rahul
Rahul/bharat/kishan ?
jadeja
Axar
Ashwin
Bumrah
Siraj

mukesh
Avesh
Kuldeep
Saurabh kumar
tilak/sarfaraz

shami still out injured ?

Molehill

International Captain
Whats the India squad likely to be

jaiswal
Rohit
Gill
Kohli
Iyer/rahul
Rahul/bharat/kishan ?
jadeja
Axar
Ashwin
Bumrah
Siraj
If as it sounds that Rahul won't be keeping, does that mean India play 6 bats plus a keeper, or does Jadeja move up to 6?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
If as it sounds that Rahul won't be keeping, does that mean India play 6 bats plus a keeper, or does Jadeja move up to 6?
Think they’ll play 5 bats plus keeper plus jadeja as their top 7.

I think Rahul may bat 5 and edge out Iyer. It’s a question of bharat v Kishan - bharat is the better keeper but kishan more likely to get runs at test level imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Their spinners are much better lower order bats so I think they'll stick with five bowlers including Jadeja.

They couldn't get away with a 6-9 of Jadeja-Bharat-Bumrah-Siraj but they can totally get away with Jadeja-Bharat-Ashwin-Axar.

Molehill

International Captain
Their spinners are much better lower order bats so I think they'll stick with five bowlers including Jadeja.

They couldn't get away with a 6-9 of Jadeja-Bharat-Bumrah-Siraj but they can totally get away with Jadeja-Bharat-Ashwin-Axar.
I'd go with that. Nothing highlights the difference between the sides more than the spin triumvirate of Ashwin/Jadeja/Axar v Leach/Rehan/Root!!

I think our only chance is if the batsmen can create scoreboard pressure, otherwise there just looks a difference in class in key areas.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I'd go with that. Nothing highlights the difference between the sides more than the spin triumvirate of Ashwin/Jadeja/Axar v Leach/Rehan/Root!!

I think our only chance is if the batsmen can create scoreboard pressure, otherwise there just looks a difference in class in key areas.
A raging chasm to be perfectly honest. Leach bowled pretty well on the last visit there, but a) won't have bowled in about 7 months in a competitive game and b) even then, last time out, he averaged a lick under 29 on very favourable pitches for spin. I didn't even think the Indian batting lineup played to well, even factoring in the prodigious turn either.