• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Qlder

International Debutant
Australia ODI squad vs West Indies

Steve Smith (c), Travis Head (vc), Sean Abbott, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Lance Morris, Jhye Richardson, Matt Short, Adam Zampa

Marsh, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood rested

Finally no more Stoinis 😀

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith has been a great player for Australia but he shouldn’t be part of our white ball future

The game has moved on

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quick, dirty maths - in the 2010s, #4s in Test cricket averaged 44 (same in 00s). 2010s for openers was 35. There's 9 runs difference. So Smith goes from 42 at 4 to 33 as an opener. There seems to be some sort of acceptance that since 2020, batting has become harder (pitches, bowling attacks etc). So I don't think sub-30 for a 34-year-old who's never opened is too outrageous for me to predict. And we've just watched Warner, from his 34th birthday, average just under 30 for a pretty large sample size over the last two calendar years.
This is weird logic. While facing the new ball is of course a bit harder, there has been a run recently of teams selecting openers who are simply lower quality than in, say, the 00s, as there isn't anyone else. When we have both quite a few very good to great middle order batsmen running around at the same as openers averaging under 40 domestically are being selected, you'd expect a big collective difference in average.

That doesn't have any bearing on individual players - Khawaja has done clearly better as an opener for instance. Smith might well average less, but the collective averages aren't representing causality if he does.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only Smith's nutty enough to volunteer to open when he's guaranteed to live out the rest of his career on his terms from wherever he damn well pleases. Not sure you can only ascribe simple qualities like selflessness or the excitement of a fresh challenge to the guy. More likely he got the notion/tic in his head and now can't shake it off until he's tried it. Pretty cool either way though.
Haha well I seriously doubt he’s doing it out of the goodness of his heart or selflessly for the team as Burgey would have you believe. He’s just the sort of guy who wants to have a crack at everything and all at once - play in all formats, all leagues, open in T20s, middle order in Tests, bowl spin, etc. He’d probably be happy to play an XI of himself if he could. He saw an opportunity here and he grabbed it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha well I seriously doubt he’s doing it out of the goodness of his heart or selflessly for the team as Burgey would have you believe. He’s just the sort of guy who wants to have a crack at everything and all at once - play in all formats, all leagues, open in T20s, middle order in Tests, bowl spin, etc. He’d probably be happy to play an XI of himself if he could. He saw an opportunity here and he grabbed it.
I sincerely think it is mostly that he hates that he has to wait for other people to get out before he gets to bat. That summer where Warner and Labuschagne made like three million runs against Pakistan and NZ must have been like slow torture for him.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Australia ODI squad vs West Indies

Steve Smith (c), Travis Head (vc), Sean Abbott, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Lance Morris, Jhye Richardson, Matt Short, Adam Zampa

Marsh, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood rested

Finally no more Stoinis 😀
Steve Smith captain? I honestly can't believe CA would stoop so low and disrespect our ODI side like this..

How are kids these days going to be inspired by his leadership... disgusting.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Smith captain? I honestly can't believe CA would stoop so low and disrespect our ODI side like this..

How are kids these days going to be inspired by his leadership... disgusting.
I'm interested to see if he still hates Glenn Maxwell

the way he captained him in his last stint was hilarious

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is weird logic. While facing the new ball is of course a bit harder, there has been a run recently of teams selecting openers who are simply lower quality than in, say, the 00s, as there isn't anyone else. When we have both quite a few very good to great middle order batsmen running around at the same as openers averaging under 40 domestically are being selected, you'd expect a big collective difference in average.

That doesn't have any bearing on individual players - Khawaja has done clearly better as an opener for instance. Smith might well average less, but the collective averages aren't representing causality if he does.
Yeah, I'm not running a research paper here. I'm just using somewhat arbitrary figures to give a ball park figure of how much harder opening is than batting 4. It's impossible to predict. Khawaja, for example, may have matured in his approach rather than it necessarily been a better fit.

I don't even care if Smith proves me wrong - except if he does it by dominating us

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm just looking at it from a critical angle. He's 34, Khawaja is 37. How is this a long term solution? What if it fails but Green or whoever comes in at 4 and succeeds? Where does that leave Smith then?

No disrespect to the W Indies, but wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to bring in a younger opener with an eye to the future?
Creating a wheel of young **** openers isn’t a good thing either