• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Guy who loves to bat offers to go out to bat earlier to accomodate his teams' needs. Come on man, I am hardly a Smith worshipper but this is pretty straightforward to understand.
I'm just looking at it from a critical angle. He's 34, Khawaja is 37. How is this a long term solution? What if it fails but Green or whoever comes in at 4 and succeeds? Where does that leave Smith then?

No disrespect to the W Indies, but wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to bring in a younger opener with an eye to the future?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm just looking at it from a critical angle. He's 34, Khawaja is 37. How is this a long term solution? What if it fails but Green or whoever comes in at 4 and succeeds? Where does that leave Smith then?

No disrespect to the W Indies, but wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to bring in a younger opener with an eye to the future?
Who said its a long term solution? If the selectors feel he can do a better job than Renshaw, Harris and Bancroft then that's it, isn't it? Given others are not exactly banging down the door.

Personally, I feel this maybe rather underwhelming in the sense that its not a huge success but its not some colossal mistake either and he just does what he has been doing at 4 recently, batting at 2. Dont really expect Green to set the world on fire either even though he is obviously extremely talented.

It just seems a bit needless to pick on Smith for this, of all things. He is offering a bit of an out of the box answer to a question where there is no real right answer and given the situation, it may well be the best they have.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Bancroft is 31 and coming out of his peak batting years, same with harris. How's that any more future proof than smith? Renshaw is 28 and i'de be giving him a run, but as other's have mentioned here despite good numbers for AUS-A/PM's XI and county runs he also **** the bed in india and has been patchy in the shield. If the scenario you described plays out, renshaw comes in and we have to find another opener whenever uzzie decides to call it quit's. So where in the same situation a year on, but our #4 is 25 and not 35.

Gob

International Coach
Bancroft is 31 and coming out of his peak batting years, same with harris. How's that any more future proof than smith? Renshaw is 28 and i'de be giving him a run, but as other's have mentioned here despite good numbers for AUS-A/PM's XI and county runs he also **** the bed in india and has been patchy in the shield. If the scenario you described plays out, renshaw comes in and we have to find another opener whenever uzzie decides to call it quit's. So where in the same situation a year on, but our #4 is 25 and not 35.
If they are to look at the future, then Smith opening is the best option as it brings Green in to the side to play in the place most people think is the ideal for him

I'm a little sceptical though. Are we all of a sudden expect Green's inability to rotate the strike would just go away now that he bats at 4? What if he gets stuck there and make like 20 of 80 or something? When you bat at 6, you at least have the option of bashing your way out or you are forced to at least when you run out of partners but its not an option for a number 4. And before some one with an extremely short memory (like molehead) points out Smith's crawling his way this season, he is still very capable of scoring runs at a decent clip ( see MCG,SCG vs RSA 12 months ago, Lords and Oval in the ashes) but sometimes decides not to given the game situation (like 16 for 4 when Marsh was going well) or his failure of getting out. I'm afraid we have not seen that from Green at this level yet.

I think there is a bigger risk of slotting Green in to the engine room position of a team (number four that is) than Smith opening. Unless his eye falls of a cliff, he'll still find a way to score runs while opening. Not sure I'm that confident with Green on that

after thought- Its going to be ****ing unbearable with molehead and skyline or whatever the **** that bloke was if Smith opens and some how fails even moderately

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If they are to look at the future, then Smith opening is the best option as it brings Green in to the side to play in the place most people think is the ideal for him

I'm a little sceptical though. Are we all of a sudden expect Green's inability to rotate the strike would just go away now that he bats at 4? What if he gets stuck there and make like 20 of 80 or something? When you bat at 6, you at least have the option of bashing your way out or you are forced to at least when you run out of partners but its not an option for a number 4. And before some one with an extremely short memory (like molehead) points out Smith's crawling his way this season, he is still very capable of scoring runs at a decent clip ( see MCG,SCG vs RSA 12 months ago, Lords and Oval in the ashes) but sometimes decides not to given the game situation (like 16 for 4 when Marsh was going well) or his failure of getting out. I'm afraid we have not seen that from Green at this level yet.

I think there is a bigger risk of slotting Green in to the engine room position of a team (number four that is) than Smith opening. Unless his eye falls of a cliff, he'll still find a way to score runs while opening. Not sure I'm that confident with Green on that

after thought- Its going to be ****ing unbearable with molehead and skyline or whatever the **** that bloke was if Smith opens and some how fails even moderately
The thing is that green's template at FC level batting for 4 WA has been to get somewhere like 25(60) or 30(75) then up the gears and end up scoring at a good clip later on. His career best vs QLD from the absolute peak of his form in 2021 is a classic example of that (
) he's 28(64) etc before getting his 50 at a sr of ~50 than continuing to accelerate. Batting at 6 means green has to accelerate a lot earlier. I don't think he needs to fully work his strike rotation issues out if he's coming in at 4, has more time to bat like he does in shield and can accelerate at a rate he's more familiar and successful with.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith once again proving a superior team man than others who wouldn't/ won't risk their personal stats by moving around the order to best assist their side.
This is a fair point - he wouldn't have been dropped at four. I imagine he burst through the selectors' door, told them the alternatives are all **** and I'm the man for the job. Ballsy. I still think he'll average >30 but good on him.

This is kinda wild, Smith opening and moving a guy who hasn't really proven himself into arguably the most high profile position in Australian sport at 4. I love it. Suck on that for intrigue, T20

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Smith can get to the Ashes, and if hes the guy they think is the best to do the job, then it's a no brainer. If it fails, Renshaw comes in. When Ussie retires, Renshaw comes in. He's played enough Test cricket to know where he needs to be when that time comes.

Too much is made of eyes to the future sometimes. That's what A tours, playing as an OS in county cricket etc is largely for. OK, the Windies are pretty ****...but I reckon 99% of the time you pick your best side for right now.

Gob

International Coach
This is a fair point - he wouldn't have been dropped at four. I imagine he burst through the selectors' door, told them the alternatives are all **** and I'm the man for the job. Ballsy. I still think he'll average >30 but good on him.

This is kinda wild, Smith opening and moving a guy who hasn't really proven himself into arguably the most high profile position in Australian sport at 4. I love it. Suck on that for intrigue, T20
Under 40 is fair but jeez he is not all of a sudden going to turn in to a low order batsman to average in the 20s. It would still be the same cricket ball that he has been averaging 45 since the 2019 Ashes and he has been out there facing the new ball more than enough in his career to adjust

kevinw

International 12th Man
Bancroft is on the naughty step and I don't think Harris and Renshaw are good enough long-term. Green in as Warner's replacement makes sense; it's just a case of who moves up. No thought of Mitch Marsh opening?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Only Smith's nutty enough to volunteer to open when he's guaranteed to live out the rest of his career on his terms from wherever he damn well pleases. Not sure you can only ascribe simple qualities like selflessness or the excitement of a fresh challenge to the guy. More likely he got the notion/tic in his head and now can't shake it off until he's tried it. Pretty cool either way though.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I think Smith should revert to being a legspinner and get that bald offie dropped. He could also bat 11 and see if he averages more there than Trent Boult.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Under 40 is fair but jeez he is not all of a sudden going to turn in to a low order batsman to average in the 20s. It would still be the same cricket ball that he has been averaging 45 since the 2019 Ashes and he has been out there facing the new ball more than enough in his career to adjust
That's my opinion, my good man. I might be right, I might be wrong - I'm quite often wrong. It's just a prediction. He's averaged 42 in the relative comfort of 4 for the last 12 months - yes, at times he's come in early, but any top order player will tell you it's never the same as going out there first, having to face two guys with a brand new ball and some energy in their legs. It might be the same ball, but it's one with the maximum amount of lacquer on it for swing, bounce, seam etc. He's 34, it looks to me as if his eye is not what it was. He's never done that job, it would be doing a disservice to say anything other than it is the hardest job in cricket.

But hey, that's cool, I'm putting my beak out. I could look silly and he might average 40+. Clarke may look like a genius saying Steve Smith will be the best Test opener in the world in 12 months...or maybe he won't. I would point out to Clarke that his quote of 'if you can bat 3, you can bat anywhere' is interesting not only from a perspective of history doesn't bear that out, but also that Smith hasn't batted there since 2017.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He said over 30 not under 30

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If he averages under 30 against WI that's a very bad sign lol
This may form part of my downfall...but I'll back in Alzarri Joseph and Kemar 'I average 90 in Australia' Roach. Incidentally, I would never have guessed Roach would have 265 Test wickets at just over 27s.

Quick, dirty maths - in the 2010s, #4s in Test cricket averaged 44 (same in 00s). 2010s for openers was 35. There's 9 runs difference. So Smith goes from 42 at 4 to 33 as an opener. There seems to be some sort of acceptance that since 2020, batting has become harder (pitches, bowling attacks etc). So I don't think sub-30 for a 34-year-old who's never opened is too outrageous for me to predict. And we've just watched Warner, from his 34th birthday, average just under 30 for a pretty large sample size over the last two calendar years.

Pretty sure SteveNZ himself could average over 30 against WI at the moment.
I think it's the 10th year anniversary since I last picked up a bat...but is Roston Chase still in that side? If so, I think you're right