• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good Essex stock to take charge of Colchester's fight against relegation. The Cowley brothers should hopefully be a better fit. Colchester sure have blown through a large number of managers in recent years - only Matt Bloomfield being considered anywhere near even vaguely useful.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If I still held any lingering relegation concerns that appointment would have me very nervous. As it is, good luck to them.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Feels like we need a separate VAR thread now, another utter joke last night.

Good Essex stock to take charge of Colchester's fight against relegation. The Cowley brothers should hopefully be a better fit. Colchester sure have blown through a large number of managers in recent years - only Matt Bloomfield being considered anywhere near even vaguely useful.
The Cowleys are a couple of nice lads, but they got exposed at Portsmouth for their lack of in depth footballing knowledge, their inability to have a plan B or willingness to take tough decisions. They were well liked (which was ultimately a problem) but in the end we couldn't get rid soon enough. What Mousinho has done since highlights their issues.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Feels like we need a separate VAR thread now, another utter joke last night.

The Cowleys are a couple of nice lads, but they got exposed at Portsmouth for their lack of in depth footballing knowledge, their inability to have a plan B or willingness to take tough decisions. They were well liked (which was ultimately a problem) but in the end we couldn't get rid soon enough. What Mousinho has done since highlights their issues.
Yeah a Pompey fan I work with didn’t rate them at all. In L2/conference they have an excellent record, perhaps it was just a bridge too far.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
For me it’s a borderline foul. Without VAR I’d consider DCL a little unlucky to have it given as a free kick. There’s just zero force.
I'm not sure "zero force" is quite right (i.e., because you can clearly see that some contact has been made with matey boy on the receiving end). With this in mind, given the height of DCL's studs (i.e., shin level) I'd say there's a fairly compelling case that could be made for saying it's reckless, which is all that's required for a yellow etc. Honest people can differ though obviously.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope. Worst take.

That Calvert-Lewin red is a ****ing joke. VAR ref needs demoted and the on field ref needs a strong word as to why the **** he's changed his mind from his initial decision.
My point was that not all contact equals a foul.

Anyway, back to VAR, I wonder what the PGMOL internal politics is like? Is there now an unwritten rule that you cannot overturn the VAR opinion?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If anything I think this one was closer to the type of situation where there could have been a foul with no contact (e.g. when the striker loses balance hurdling a badly mistimed slide tackle).

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
When there is contact in the penalty area and the attacking player could easily stay on their feet but decides to go down, common sense says it shouldn't be a penalty, but they are nearly always given.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When there is contact in the penalty area and the attacking player could easily stay on their feet but decides to go down, common sense says it shouldn't be a penalty, but they are nearly always given.
The reason players throw themselves to the ground though is because you don't get a penalty if you try and stay on your feet.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Nope. Worst take.

That Calvert-Lewin red is a ****ing joke. VAR ref needs demoted and the on field ref needs a strong word as to why the **** he's changed his mind from his initial decision.
Reminds me of the one Curtis Jones got against Spurs.

It seems if you go studs up into an opponents shin you will get sent off, whether you get the ball or not is largely irrelevant. Somehow they've come to the conclusion that the tackling player is not in control, despite the fact these are professionals who have been practicing the technique since they could walk - I would argue more often than not you can judge the intent of these tackles (i.e. cynical, reckless, poorly timed etc) but the PGMOL try to stick to their interpretation of the rules without applying context.

Those sort of challenges were never historically red cards but I can live with it as long as they're consistent. What really annoys me is the still frames and slow-motion replays that VAR uses to come in over the top and undermine the refs decision when its not a 'clear and obvious' error.