• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I'm pretty certain that the only people who thought that was a penalty were the ref, VAR and Klopp. Absolute embarrassment and Taylor should've had an xG rating too. The first was a tough call for a penalty (surely wouldn't have been overturned had he not given it), the second just farcical.

Newcastle are a bit of a mess at the mo. I know they've got injuries, but they shouldn't get walked over through the middle like that, it wasn't a bad side he put out.
I thought the first was a reasonable call for a pen even if a player is only too happy to 'take' the contact. I do wonder if Howe will be in post next year. Getting Champions League was a huge step for Newcastle but to not be able to make it this year and you wonder if the owners will get itchy fingers....

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought the first was a reasonable call for a pen even if a player is only too happy to 'take' the contact. I do wonder if Howe will be in post next year. Getting Champions League was a huge step for Newcastle but to not be able to make it this year and you wonder if the owners will get itchy fingers....
Yeah, I'd suspect a big name manager to turn up sooner or later to match the spending power available.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly at Premiership level, and I wasn't seriously suggesting that Rooney should replace Howe at Newcastle.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"Rooney Sacked" is just such a great headline. I'm not sure what it is about it, but it just made me laugh as soon as I saw it.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Certainly at Premiership level, and I wasn't seriously suggesting that Rooney should replace Howe at Newcastle.
To be clear, I certainly wasn't suggesting you were. Although I hardly followed what happened at Birmingham that closely, it did seem nuts at the time that they were replacing a guy who hadn't done much wrong there (John Eustace) for a 'name'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I like how he's come out accusing them of sacking him "too soon", after taking them from play-off places to a relegation battle.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I like how he's come out accusing them of sacking him "too soon", after taking them from play-off places to a relegation battle.
They could've been promotion places next year in League 1. It's not like everybody at the time suggested it was a crazy decision, everyone got what they deserved.

Arachibutyrophobic

Cricket Spectator
Some stats:
- Nottingham Forest spent €122m in the summer
- Nottingham Forest spent €195m in the 2022/23 season
- Nottingham Forest have spent €317m since the start of the 2022/23 season
- Nuno has managed 2 games for Nottingham Forest

- Manchester United spent €202m in the summer
- Manchester United spent €243m in the 2022/23 season
- Manchester United have spent €445m since the start of the 2022/23 season
- Ten Hag has managed 90 games for Manchester United

In 2 games Nuno has managed to implement a clearly defined style of play and identified existing players in the squad that suit the system he wants. That game and those above numbers should be all you ever need as evidence that Ten Hag is a fraud.
All this tells me is that Forest have spent a huge amount of money.
Forest have spent a fair bit but, on promotion in 2022 we had about 5 players who were anywhere near premier league quality. The side that came up was based on loans who all went back. We had to buy, pretty much a full squad to try and compete with established PL teams and that doesn't come cheap.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm pretty certain that the only people who thought that was a penalty were the ref, VAR and Klopp. Absolute embarrassment and Taylor should've had an xG rating too. The first was a tough call for a penalty (surely wouldn't have been overturned had he not given it), the second just farcical.

Newcastle are a bit of a mess at the mo. I know they've got injuries, but they shouldn't get walked over through the middle like that, it wasn't a bad side he put out.
You would be wrong

1704233800355.png

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it’s as obvious a foul as you’ll see tbh. In that situation pretty much any contact is a foul. I saw someone suggesting both a penalty and a yellow card for diving, which would be ridiculous but also kinda make sense.

The solution has always been for referees to still give penalties for fouls when the striker tries to stay on his feet. But there’s been no movement towards that at all. So we’re left with a lot of incidents that are both fouls and dives.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, foul/penalty all day for me. As uppercut alludes to, it's worth keeping in mind that nothing in the rules/laws of the game suggest that a foul requires the receiving player to "go down" or anything of the like.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah, foul/penalty all day for me. As uppercut alludes to, it's worth keeping in mind that nothing in the rules/laws of the game suggest that a foul requires the receiving player to "go down" or anything of the like.
this is what i hate people wanting the players to get hurt or go down if they want to get free kicks or pens

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
It's a contact sport, not every contact equals a foul. That touch clearly wasn't enough to bring him down until he decided it was.
That's a matter of opinion, calling a decision 'farcical' when plenty of people think the opposite to you just shows how subjective it is. We can't go into the territory of arguing over the degree to which contact impacts a player while they are running.

The optics look bad because if Jota stays on his feet its an easy tap in to an empty net. Had there been a defender in the vicinity who then immediately clears the ball away not a single person would be saying its not a penalty.

Put yourself in the refs shoes there, whether he saw the contact or not, he would have noticed how easy of a goal that would have been if Jota stayed on his feet. Knowing VAR was there and that Jota had no real incentive to dive if there was no contact (i.e. alternative was overturned decision and yellow card), it was a rather easy decision.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a matter of opinion, calling a decision 'farcical' when plenty of people think the opposite to you just shows how subjective it is. We can't go into the territory of arguing over the degree to which contact impacts a player while they are running.

The optics look bad because if Jota stays on his feet its an easy tap in to an empty net. Had there been a defender in the vicinity who then immediately clears the ball away not a single person would be saying its not a penalty.

Put yourself in the refs shoes there, whether he saw the contact or not, he would have noticed how easy of a goal that would have been if Jota stayed on his feet. Knowing VAR was there and that Jota had no real incentive to dive if there was no contact (i.e. alternative was overturned decision and yellow card), it was a rather easy decision.
Nope, the most obvious thing to me was that whatever initial contact there was wasn't enough to bring him down before he dived 3 strides later. I'd have booked the cheating ****.