• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Trouble is that does seem to be the expectation, if I've interpreted that correctly.
Head at 5 has worked tbf, but this was exactly why I was calling for green to bat 5 and head 6 back in SL and the 2021 ashes. Suits there styles of play alot better.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Head at 5 has worked tbf, but this was exactly why I was calling for green to bat 5 and head 6 back in SL and the 2021 ashes. Suits there styles of play alot better.
Certainly does.

Still seeing chatter about him maybe opening (Cricinfo today). I've become progressively less a fan of that idea as I do think he has a bit of weakness around off stump and his front pad that will be more exposed if he opens.

4-5 is his spot but with Smith there (though fading) and Head there at least until Marsh goes - which could be a while - there's not much room. If they didn't drop Warner for averaging 28-odd for years, they're not discarding Smith unless he goes on a horror run.

Whereas it looks likely we'll have a post-Strauss England-like cycle of openers in the new future.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I mean I'll just be amazed if any of Harris, Renshaw or Bancroft turn out to be Test standard openers. I'll be really, really surprised.

I would not be at all surprised if they essentially punt on the decision somehow in the hope that if they wait long enough, the bloke they actually want to pick (Pucovski) will become available.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah I mean I'll just be amazed if any of Harris, Renshaw or Bancroft turn out to be Test standard openers. I'll be really, really surprised.

I would not be at all surprised if they essentially punt on the decision somehow in the hope that if they wait long enough, the bloke they actually want to pick (Pucovski) will become available.
There is more to Renshaw than the other two tbh although he was diabolical in India

Also can't see Pucovski ever becoming a thing at this level sadly

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Whereas it looks likely we'll have a post-Strauss England-like cycle of openers in the new future.
Yeah we’ll cycle through a bunch of crap openers while Green sits on the sideline for a couple years.

Before we know it, our dads army of a batting line up will be retiring within a couple years of each other and with no one younger having gained enough experience to step up and lead the batting unit

Gob

International Coach
Only way to get Green in to the side without completely ****ing up the rest of the batting line up is swapping him directly with Warner.

Which is way better than going down the stupid route which is worrying about a future scenario of few people retiring at the same time (even though 2 out of the 3 middle order players are still just 30) and **** up something that is working at the moment

Shady Slim

International Coach
Getting that sinking feeling that they will pick Harris because of boys club

It’s a sorry indictment of our batting stocks that he remains in contention
i’m generally against red lettering someone forever given blokes should really always have that chance to go back to domestix and work on their game and deserve recalls

i’m willing to make an exception for harris though because it’s abundantly clear that despite getting runs domestically he hasn’t actually worked on any of the things wrong with his batting that make him blow so hard at test level. he’s like if you tried to purchase dave warner on Temu

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i’m generally against red lettering someone forever given blokes should really always have that chance to go back to domestix and work on their game and deserve recalls

i’m willing to make an exception for harris though because it’s abundantly clear that despite getting runs domestically he hasn’t actually worked on any of the things wrong with his batting that make him blow so hard at test level. he’s like if you tried to purchase dave warner on Temu
I don’t think that either he or Renshaw have addressed their technical flaws plus Harris is a very poor fielder for a professional

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Pucovski shouldn't ever be considered unless he can put at least 3 consecutive seasons of injury-free (and mentally healthy) Shield cricket together IMO

He's shown he's not up to it

morgieb

Harris has by far the least convincing case of the three. At least Bancroft only failed against one team. And Renshaw at least started his Test career well. Harris hasn't really looked convincing anywhere. Even his decent knocks at Test level looked pretty ugly and were more grinding efforts.

That's before considering that Bancroft has been excellent at Shield level while Renshaw's done well for the A-team. In contrast Harris has only really scored runs on roads in domestic cricket.

Add that he's a crap fielder (while Bancroft is a very good one and Renshaw at least an OK one) and....

Spark

Global Moderator
Harris has by far the least convincing case of the three. At least Bancroft only failed against one team. And Renshaw at least started his Test career well. Harris hasn't really looked convincing anywhere. Even his decent knocks at Test level looked pretty ugly and were more grinding efforts.

That's before considering that Bancroft has been excellent at Shield level while Renshaw's done well for the A-team. In contrast Harris has only really scored runs on roads in domestic cricket.

Add that he's a crap fielder (while Bancroft is a very good one and Renshaw at least an OK one) and....
Two teams. He wasn't exactly great against SA either.

Pucovski shouldn't ever be considered unless he can put at least 3 consecutive seasons of injury-free (and mentally healthy) Shield cricket together IMO

He's shown he's not up to it
I kind of agree but I don't think that's how the selectors see it. If he gets through the rest of the season unscathed (big if) he'll be near the top of the pile

morgieb

Two teams. He wasn't exactly great against SA either.
Obviously sandpaper overshadows it, but he did manage two 50's and averaged around 37 in three Tests. That's not too bad for your first series away from home IMO given the quality of the South African bowling.

Gob

International Coach
The issue with Pucovski is not that he might struggle at the highest level against the short stuff but what he has gone through is genuinely dangerous for his health.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I'd be willing to consider Harris again if he spent two seasons consistently making runs away from the Junction Oval. It really is a sorry tale when you break his record down.