• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

ataraxia

International Coach
It's a lot better than we were lead to believe imo.

Bedingham, Hamza, Oliver, Paterson, Petersen, Piedt and Zondo are all names I recognise.

I thought they were sending the equivalent of what we would send if Super Smash took precedence. The classic NZ XI.
Nah the sides tossed up in the SA selection thread were actually almost decent. The absence of de Zorzi / Elgar in particular is pretty terribad (thanks Dean).

There's no way this series is going to be anything but a mammoth thrashing.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I remember there were 3 or 4 foreigners in Neesham's team last year.
I've looked up the structure on wikipedia. As what I was really interested in was how many teams and how many South Africans in each squad. Trying to work out how many players have been removed from the selection pool/

First 2 teams I looked at had 7 or 8 foreigners in a squad up to 19 players. But locals also included retired free-lancers like Faf etc.

Trying to work out what sort of theoretical team you would end up with if you did the same for NZ.

If you added 48 foreigners plus Guptill, Boult, Munro, CdG, Anderson etc to the Super Smash - what would be spat out the other end to select from?

1. G Hay
2. S Solia
10. Wagner ?

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
I've looked up the structure on wikipedia. As what I was really interested in was how many teams and how many South Africans in each squad. Trying to work out how many players have been removed from the selection pool/

First 2 teams I looked at had 7 or 8 foreigners in a squad up to 19 players. But locals also included retired free-lancers like Faf etc.

Trying to work out what sort of theoretical team you would end up with if you did the same for NZ.

If you added 48 foreigners plus Guptill, Boult, Munro, CdG, Anderson etc to the Super Smash - what would be spat out the other end to select from?

1. G Hay
2. S Solia
10. Wagner ?
Troy Johnson

Immenso

Also, remember when we used to play tests at this time of year? When you could actually watch them without taking time off work. :(
you mean, you aren't satisfied with the approximately 90 overs of blackcaps cricket we have ended up getting over the 14 day festive period?

Last edited:

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I still maintain the Pakistan T20s are unnecessary. Do we really need 16 T20s before the T20WC? Most of the other teams are playing far less. It's just content creation, & tbf I'm bored of Pakistan. What, 20 matches over the last year or so, & another 10 over the next 3-4 months? We could've had the BCs spend the rest of the month in Super Smash instead of this "in again, out again" nonsense.

Oh, I get it. CSA puts their eggs in the T20 league basket, NZC puts theirs in the T20Is basket.

Immenso

Is Matt Henry seen as the likely Trent Boult replacement for the upcoming T20I world cup (in June)?

Of so, his selection for the T20 series v Pak would make sense.

Otherwise it's seems a bit of a waste of opportunity. E.g. for Nathan Smith who is screaming out pick me.

I'm delighted Henry is back and fit, though, allegedly. Thinking about the test series coming up once summer is over.

Would have been good if he had played at least 1 game, though, in domestic, before making the squad .

Chubb

International Regular
Guess I have to start following Worcester as well as Essex now.

I'm in the UK in August. Perhaps I should go to Worcester. Nothing creepy about a guy from your second grade side showing up half the world away to watch you play.

I have actually spoken to Nathan once after he became a professional and he said he remembered me but I doubt he really did, he was just being polite.

Moss

Is Matt Henry seen as the likely Trent Boult replacement for the upcoming T20I world cup (in June)?

Of so, his selection for the T20 series v Pak would make sense.

Otherwise it's seems a bit of a waste of opportunity. E.g. for Nathan Smith who is screaming out pick me.

I'm delighted Henry is back and fit, though, allegedly. Thinking about the test series coming up once summer is over.

Would have been good if he had played at least 1 game, though, in domestic, before making the squad .
Henry seems to have expanded his white-ball range in the recent past. He's no Malinga but definitely not as much of a sitting duck at the back end of the innings like he used to be. Bowled pretty well in the T20s in Pakistan earlier in the year from memory. Having him and Southee in the same lineup though seems unnecessary.