• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broadly agree with your post but tbf the best green looked was when he was playing aggressively and getting quick runs

his problem has been confidence more than all else at the highest level he’s not backing himself
He looks like he's always super stressed at the crease and overthinking stuff. Needs to have his own Bison moment and stop giving a ****, get a Fitzroy haircut and start spraying his ejaculesium all over the team showers like no one's watching.

Starfighter

Considering the age of the batting line I think Labu just needs to open up and Green slots into the middle order. Harris, Bancroft and Renshaw are all proven failures and we’re going to be approaching a situation where 6 out of the 7 will retire at the same time

Head doesn’t have long in this world either unfortunately
I don't think Labuschagne is technically tight enough to open.

Why is Head 'not long in this world'. Do you think his weakness against the short ball and propensity to get caught at third man mean teams will be able to keep him quiet?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Labuschagne is technically tight enough to open.

Why is Head 'not long in this world'. Do you think his weakness against the short ball and propensity to get caught at third man mean teams will be able to keep him quiet?
He’s basically opening right now anyway

Head is all eye and no technique and foot movement. He’s 30 now. Can you really see him sustaining this kind of play for long?

He’s rubbish against the short ball and there’s pretty easy to tactics to use against him

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Head is all eye and no technique and foot movement. He’s 30 now. Can you really see him sustaining this kind of play for long?

He’s rubbish against the short ball and there’s pretty easy to tactics to use against him
I haven't been able to imagine Head being any good ever but he keeps making these crazy good scores

Agree that when he hits the wall (could be soon) it will be dramatic and he will turn to **** overnight

Starfighter

And not doing a great job of it.

Proper openers would be nice, but we aren't producing any good ones at the moment. (I hear that all NSW junior rep cricket is white ball. No wonder they can't produce anyone who can bat. And it's a bit of a problem when they're the largest talent pool).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
And not doing a great job of it.

Proper openers would be nice, but we aren't producing any good ones at the moment. (I hear that all NSW junior rep cricket is white ball. No wonder they can't produce anyone who can bat. And it's a bit of a problem when they're the largest talent pool).
Yeah my concern is that if Green isn’t brought into the team at some point we’re going to have a complete dads army XI soon - and not a very good one at that

Starfighter

Yeah my concern is that if Green isn’t brought into the team at some point we’re going to have a complete dads army XI soon - and not a very good one at that
We already do have a dad's army XI. But I'm not sure making anyone open is the best approach.

Questions need to be asked about the state of shield cricket (particularly the green or flat pitches thing) and pathways - especially in NSW. But they won't be as the future return on investment in producing a traditional opener is looking lower all the time.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't understand how Head works either but I don't understand how he hasn't bought himself the benefit of the doubt for years to come. It's not like he's been some flat track, **** attack bully who doesn't perform when it matters.

TheJediBrah

I don't understand how Head works either but I don't understand how he hasn't bought himself the benefit of the doubt for years to come. It's not like he's been some flat track, **** attack bully who doesn't perform when it matters.
I think he has bought himself the benefit of the doubt. He'll have to fail consistently for a while before being dropped again IMO

Gob

International Coach
lol Travis Head isn't going anywhere for five more years at least. People have short memories

Spark

Global Moderator
I just don't think you can fluke your way to the sorts of results he's gotten for a good three years now. It's baffling from a technical point of view but quite plainly it works at this level.

Gob

International Coach
Considering the age of the batting line I think Labu just needs to open up and Green slots into the middle order. Harris, Bancroft and Renshaw are all proven failures and we’re going to be approaching a situation where 6 out of the 7 will retire at the same time

Head doesn’t have long in this world either unfortunately
Do you mean the top 7?

How so? Now that Warner is gone, next imminent retirements are Khawaja and Smith. Rest can hang around for a while

TheJediBrah

I just don't think you can fluke your way to the sorts of results he's gotten for a good three years now. It's baffling from a technical point of view but quite plainly it works at this level.
It's clearly an eye thing with him though. People were going on for years about how reliant Smith was on his eye and that when it goes he will go to. Head actually looks way more reliant on hand-eye than Smith ever did. Smith actually had a well-ordered technique whereas Head just stands there and flays

Gob

International Coach
He is no different to Gilchrist.

Except against the short ball cos Gilchrist was a jet against the short stuff but Head is no way as bad as they make him out to be

Spark

Global Moderator
It's clearly an eye thing with him though. People were going on for years about how reliant Smith was on his eye and that when it goes he will go to. Head actually looks way more reliant on hand-eye than Smith ever did. Smith actually had a well-ordered technique whereas Head just stands there and flays
Right but that's always been true and never been a major impediment. He's 30, not 35, he's not about to fall off a cliff. I think we have a tendency to exaggerate just how quickly the "eye" goes after you're 30, it deteriorates but not that quickly.

TheJediBrah

He is no different to Gilchrist.

Except against the short ball cos Gilchrist was a jet against the short stuff but Head is now way as bad as they make him out to be
wut no

Gilchrist had a far better technique than Head does. And he moved his feet. Awful comparison

Gob

International Coach
And opening with Marnus while pushing Smith/ Head a spot higher so you can fit in Green is a ****ing terrible idea worthy of infraction points.

Yes batting at 5 will technically improve Green's productivity (as opposed to batting at 6) but it will collectively bring down the productivity of all the other 3 that you change the spots of for various reasons. Terrible