• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

International Coach
Actually brings to mind an interesting and unique question.

If we had to choose, or trust 4 or 5 members to form a selection committee to select a world XI (plus squad) which 5 would you guys choose? Unbiased, pragmatic, a sound understanding of the game, innovative thinkers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Langer (c)
Rogers
Katich
Martyn
Hussey
?????????
R. Marsh (wk)
Lillee
McKenzie
Alderman
Reid

no. 6 spot is the one up for grabs.

Kim Hughes, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Voges, Marcus North, Murray Goodwin, Brad Hogg all in the running. I put forward Brad Hogg since I've gone with 4 quicks (because Perth) and he played a lot of his cricket for WA virtually as a batting all-rounder offering a few overs of spin.

Weird how much of WA's batting strength throughout their history is condensed into the 90s and 00s.

Edit: Although keep in mind my knowledge of pre-90s cricket is virtually non-existent :ph34r:
Hogg scored bulk runs for WA too. Not a bad shout, but on the other hand he was probably not actually a better FC bowler than North anyway. North got particularly good at bowling into the #doctor in Shield cricket later in his career as well.

Goodwin IMO the best of those bats if that's all we judge it on.

Qlder

International Debutant
Hogg scored bulk runs for WA too. Not a bad shout, but on the other hand he was probably not actually a better FC bowler than North anyway. North got particularly good at bowling into the #doctor in Shield cricket later in his career as well.

Goodwin IMO the best of those bats if that's all we judge it on.
Lol you think Goodwin >>>>> Kim Hughes

Puts your Hoggard >>>>> Lillee into perspective 😀

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
My revised WA XI

J.Langer
S.Katich
K.Hughes
M.Hussey
D.Martyn
J.Inverarity (c)
R.Marsh
B.Yardley
D.Lillee
G.McKenzie
T.Alderman

... and a 2nd XI

B.Laird
G.Marsh/G.Wood
A.Voges
S.Marsh
R.Edwards
M.Marsh
C.Green
T.Zoehrer
S.MacGill/B.Hogg
J.Angel
B.Reid

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My revised WA XI

J.Langer
S.Katich
K.Hughes
M.Hussey
D.Martyn
J.Inverarity (c)
R.Marsh
B.Yardley
D.Lillee
G.McKenzie
T.Alderman

... and a 2nd XI

B.Laird
G.Marsh/G.Wood
A.Voges
S.Marsh
R.Edwards
M.Marsh
C.Green
T.Zoehrer
S.MacGill/B.Hogg
J.Angel
B.Reid
Do you not consider Chris Rogers a West Australian or actually think he's not better than most of those guys

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadly, Kim Hughes is remembered for his emotional resignation from Australia's captaincy rather than for his batting prowess. What many fail to acknowledge is the pressure put on him by post WSC cricketers. The lack of support from Marsh and Lillee was particularly tough.

Qlder

International Debutant
Sadly, Kim Hughes is remembered for his emotional resignation from Australia's captaincy rather than for his batting prowess. What many fail to acknowledge is the pressure put on him by post WSC cricketers. The lack of support from Marsh and Lillee was particularly tough.
Yes it was well understated at the time but it was brutal when Hughes captained them.

Was glad when Hughes said he became really good friends with Lillee and Marsh after they all retired.