• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean it's still 58. What it is probably denting is his longevity; I can't see him being happy to stick around for a long slow Punter-esque decline.
It doesn't look like he's going to get back to scoring like he used to though. Like he can't fix the problems the way he did.

Could maybe try not getting as square though (although Gary Palmer would approve of his current technique)

Starfighter

I can't believe Head played that shot with that field in place.

Jamal is bowling noticeably faster in this spell. Passed 140 a few times.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird day. Pakistan didn't bowl well Session 1, was on fire in the mini-session, and the third session was fairly even. Think Australia would be the happier team - certainly par looks under 300 unless it flattens out.

Spark

Global Moderator
It doesn't look like he's going to get back to scoring like he used to though. Like he can't fix the problems the way he did.

Could maybe try not getting as square though (although Gary Palmer would approve of his current technique)
Right but my point is that if he doesn't feel he can fix them he'll probably just retire.

King Kane

International Debutant
That was another poor day for Pakistan, choosing to bowl first with conditions that favoured their pace bowlers all day and only finished with 3 wickets,

And one of those wickets was off the part time spinner Salman from a dumb slog from Warner just before lunch.

Their pace bowlers bowled too wide, too short and too slow for most of the day to take advantage of the conditions.

The likes of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar would have had a field day in those conditions and Pakistan would've been batting by now.

King Kane

International Debutant
But they still would have lost
Probably, their batting wasn't great even when those 3 great bowlers were playing for them but at least they were exciting to watch when they bowled.

They are pretty boring to watch now whether they are batting or bowling, at least they picked Rizwan who can be good to watch bat if he gets going.

Starfighter

This usually happens because they're worried about leaking runs and thus bowl a more defensive line, no? It doesn't work but it seems a pretty natural thing to do subconsciously.
I'm not sure about that. Pakistan and WI seem to have gotten set on that line from the get-go. It seems to be partly from the fashion of their bowlers from bowling from the outside half of the crease. They naturally bowl down that line and when they go more towards off the angle lets the batsmen work it to leg - this was very noticeable when Warner and Khawaja were in.

Shaheen and Hamza in particular would have been a lot more threatening if they bowled down the same line a foot or so closer to the stumps. Even Cummins and Boland, who both naturally slant the ball in, start off closer.

Gob

International Coach
I mean it's still 58. What it is probably denting is his longevity; I can't see him being happy to stick around for a long slow Punter-esque decline.
I wonder if he could go in and just try to be free flowing (ala late career Jacques Kallis). He seems way too cautious these days and looks like he is worried about getting out. I think I read somewhere that, on average, he plays the same amount of balls now as he used to when he was on song but because he is striking at 40, he ends up falling short of a century

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it just me or has smith started getting out LBW walking across his stumps alot more? Feel like he's lost his stumps recently.