• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then he waits his turn. He's being "made into a no. 6" because that's the spot available for him. He's not getting in to bat at the top order so it's either no. 6 or the bench.

**** me imagine a 19 year old Ricky Ponting in the same position. You don't get to just come straight into your favourite position. You need to earn it. Ponting batted 6 for like 5 years before getting the chance at no. 3
I'm trying to think of a way to actually maximise the runs from the batting talent we have in the country. If that means moving Smith (who will probably be less effected by a change in order) further down so that Green might average 40+ rather than low 30s, then it might be worth considering. Or maybe picking him as an opener despite my misgivings about his defence.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why isn't he getting to bat in the top order? He's better than pretty much everyone else who's in consideration for those spots.
What no he's not. Warner/Khawaja/Marnus/Smith/Head is a pretty locked in top 5

If you're talking about after Warner is gone I don't see how that's going to work either unless he's opening. Marnus/Smith/Head at 3/4/5 is not going to, and shouldn't, change.

For the foreseeable future Green is going to either have to figure out how to bat well at 6 (which isn't the mystery some of you guys are making it out to be) or figure out how to open

Long-term he should have the no. 4 spot but that's a few years away, possibly quite a few

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I think Green opening is an utterly horrendous idea, being put under that sort of pressure in such an unfamiliar role is exactly the sort of thing that could genuinely destroy his career imo.

The longterm risk is far too great for that to be an idea worthy of any consideration

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just keep him as MMarsh's back up. The younger Marsh tends to get injured often, especially if he bowls any significant number of overs, so Green will get his opportunities anyways. Plus, MMarsh may also pull the plug early on his FC and test careers to maximize his earnings through T20 leagues.

Spark

Global Moderator
What no he's not. Warner/Khawaja/Marnus/Smith/Head is a pretty locked in top 5

If you're talking about after Warner is gone I don't see how that's going to work either unless he's opening. Marnus/Smith/Head at 3/4/5 is not going to, and shouldn't, change.

For the foreseeable future Green is going to either have to figure out how to bat well at 6 (which isn't the mystery some of you guys are making it out to be) or figure out how to open

Long-term he should have the no. 4 spot but that's a few years away, possibly quite a few
Well yeah of course we're talking about after Warner is gone, and I was talking about the alternatives like Bancroft, Renshaw, Harris, McSweeney

Kraken

State Captain
Just keep him as MMarsh's back up. The younger Marsh tends to get injured often, especially if he bowls any significant number of overs, so Green will get his opportunities anyways. Plus, MMarsh may also pull the plug early on his FC and test careers to maximize his earnings through T20 leagues.
not if he's still in the test side he won't

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yeah of course we're talking about after Warner is gone, and I was talking about the alternatives like Bancroft, Renshaw, Harris, McSweeney
Well yeah he's definitely better than those guys but they're not currently playing for Australia

I really don't see how he gets a spot this year unless it's no. 6

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah MMarsh isn't retiring from Tests any time soon unless he gets dropped, and in fairness to him he seems to have the absolute mental clarity that he lacked earlier in his career. Still has pretty much all the same vulnerabilities if you bowl in the right place to him, but he's a far more dangerous customer now if you don't.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah Marsh really does strike me as the type who really values test cricket, and would want to keep playing it as long as his body allows

That was my point. Another injury or two and he may decide his body cant take 5/4 day cricket and concentrate on white ball stuff.