• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The way Marsh is batting here is what Cameron Green should be, but can't
No reason why he should be, not every allrounder needs to be a basher (Kallis anyone?). Trouble is they need to recognise this fact and figure out how to accomodate his natural style.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Green doesn't need to bat like Marsh but he needs to show some positivity rather than his stonewall defence every ball.

Starfighter

Green doesn't need to bat like Marsh but he needs to show some positivity rather than his stonewall defence.
I think he'd go better if had some other batsmen to partner with. He bats four for WA, it might help him if they stopped expecting him to bat like a nowadays stereotypical six.

Spark

Global Moderator
Green's best position is very obviously 4. I don't know how to sort that position in the interim but expecting him to bat like MMarsh or Flintoff is simply misreading his game, which is to take time getting set in red ball cricket.

I wouldn't be super opposed to him opening in isolation but it's fair to worry about him getting jerked around and confused by that. He's just not a counter-attacking six, he's a traditional top order batsman and should be treated as such.

I think he'd go better if had some other batsmen to partner with. He bats four for WA, it might help him if they stopped expecting him to bat like a nowadays stereotypical six.
Honestly wondering if the solution is to think about moving Smith if he's starting to roll down the hill.

Starfighter

Green's best position is very obviously 4. I don't know how to sort that position in the interim but expecting him to bat like MMarsh or Flintoff is simply misreading his game, which is to take time getting set in red ball cricket.

I wouldn't be super opposed to him opening in isolation but it's fair to worry about him getting jerked around and confused by that. He's just not a counter-attacking six, he's a traditional top order batsman and should be treated as such.

Honestly wondering if the solution is to think about moving Smith if he's starting to roll down the hill.
I was about to reply with the sentence you just edited in. I think maybe Smith could move down to five. While he'll score runs here and there frankly his magic looks pretty much gone now. It might take the pressure off him and let him play more freely while letting Green play his natural game as well.

I don't think having him open would necessarily be a bad signal, he could just play his natural game, but I don't think his defence against the moving ball is good enough. A big guy like him is always going to be a bit of a target on the stumps.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then he waits his turn. He's being "made into a no. 6" because that's the spot available for him. He's not getting in to bat at the top order so it's either no. 6 or the bench.

**** me imagine a 19 year old Ricky Ponting in the same position. You don't get to just come straight into your favourite position. You need to earn it. Ponting batted 6 for like 5 years before getting the chance at no. 3

Spark

Global Moderator
Then he waits his turn. He's being "made into a no. 6" because that's the spot available for him. He's not getting in to bat at the top order so it's either no. 6 or the bench.

**** me imagine a 19 year old Ricky Ponting in the same position. You don't get to just come straight into your favourite position. You need to earn it. Ponting batted 6 for like 5 years before getting the chance at no. 3
Why isn't he getting to bat in the top order? He's better than pretty much everyone else who's in consideration for those spots.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like fmd we can't be complaining about Green not being proactive enough early on then picking blokes like Bancroft, who strikes at 40 in the Shield, or Renshaw instead.