• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Gob

International Coach
I was surprised that Warner was selected for this series as it would have been an ideal opportunity to blood someone else.

At home, Warner has an outstanding record but with Khawaja also being in the latter stages of his career, its clear the Aussies are going to have find 2 new openers in the next year or 2.

The cupboard is obviously a bit bare so a nice little home series against Pakistan would be ideal for the next generation of players to be given a go.
Yeah could have done that.

Pakistan would be batting by now but that's not important

ataraxia

International Coach
Warner hasn't proven anyone wrong. The criticism has always been that he dominates at home against weaker attacks but consistently fails away. If anything this innings just reinforces that criticism.
No the criticism is that he fails away. Scoring runs at home (a) is not ever a bad thing, and (b) is completely irrelevant to the criticism about not scoring runs away.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Warner hasn't proven anyone wrong. The criticism has always been that he dominates at home against weaker attacks but consistently fails away. If anything this innings just reinforces that criticism.
Exactly and that is why in my opinion, I assess Warner (in terms of Test cricket) as just a "good batsman"...the reason being is that his career stats in Test cricket are inflated due to his superior record at home. Once you analyse and take his stats apart you'll see that he is inconsistent away from the comforts of home/home country (Australia). This damning stat must count against him.

I mean I've seen posts on social media such as Twitter (now called "X"), Facebook that he is Australia's greatest Test opener. I simply can't agree with that.

A Test average away from home (outside Australia) of 32.50 is simply not good enough.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly and that is why in my opinion, I assess Warner (in terms of Test cricket) as just a "good batsman"...the reason being is that his career stats in Test cricket are inflated due to his superior record at home. Once you analyse and take his stats apart you'll see that he is inconsistent away from the comforts of home/home country (Australia). This damning stat must count against him.

I mean I've seen posts on social media such as Twitter (now called "X"), Facebook that he is Australia's greatest Test opener. I simply can't agree with that.

A Test average away from home (outside Australia) of 32.50 is simply not good enough.
I think most of what you've said is common sense but I'm not convinced the stat should "count against him" any more than it already does when considering his career stats.

If he only played at home and didn't play away and had a career average of 65 then absolutely it should count against him. But he's played virtually every away game Australia have had during his career and his career average of 44-45 already reflects his failures away from home

Qlder

International Debutant
Warner hasn't proved anyone wrong or done anything unexpected against a weak bowling attack at home.

If he had been dropped we could have cheered on a Bancroft or Renshaw hundred and all claim "we told you so"

Chubb

International Regular
Look I know I bang on about this, but again, we're seeing a visiting team act like they've given up one day into a test series in Australia.