• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Some strange selections and non selections.

No Tongue is odd - he must be injured.

But it's the spinners that stand out. I know nothing of Bashir but Tom Hartley is an odd choice as well.

I follow Lancs and Hartley is a slow bowler rather than a spinner. He bats a bit but I wouldn't have him near the test squad.

Presumably Dawson has pissed McCullum off as there's no justification for not picking him
What happened to Dom Bess

FBU

International Debutant
According to Dobell (also a big Woakes fan) he wasn't asked.

Molehill

International Captain
I just don't get the Bashir selection at all (or even Hartley). I know we're a bit thin on the ground with regards spinners, but surely the likes of Carson or De Caires should be ahead of both of them.

Molehill

International Captain
Sorry, wasn't referring to Woakes, it was the non-selection of Dawson.

But if you wanna get with RIS, you gotta Rizz up the Woakes!!

ImpatientLime

International Regular
My personal opinion, once he said he was ambivalent they were never asking him (if they ever were). I’ve not seen the quotes but apparently Jacks said something similar?
i mean if this is the case, isn't it the part where the selection and coaching team have gotta show some man management skills and pick up the phone to dawson?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
i mean if this is the case, isn't it the part where the selection and coaching team have gotta show some man management skills and pick up the phone to dawson?
Suppose it depends how you look at it. If someone isn’t sure they want to be there, then maybe they aren’t worth persuading?

I remember after the 2009 Ashes both Swann and Harmison being asked their thoughts on a packed schedule and tough winter tour to South Africa.

Swann said it was the best job in the world and he’d be mad to complain

Harmison said he’d have to think about it if asked to go.

Im not saying Dawson is like Harmison as the circumstances are different and turning down franchise money at his age is not necessarily a reasonable ask. Nevertheless there are many who’d kill for such an opportunity and it doesn’t feel in tune with the Stokes/McCullum environment to carry along someone who’s not bought in.

Molehill

International Captain
Jack Carson seems a prat but at least has 100+ FC wickets.
I think the whole prat thing is a bit harsh. He got done for getting frustrated at some pretty shocking umpiring in a tight game - he'd hardly be the first to do that. And some of the umpiring I've seen this last season was utterly abysmal.

I'd like to see what he could do bowling on some helpful pitches, something he rarely gets an opportunity to do.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Some strange selections and non selections.

No Tongue is odd - he must be injured.

But it's the spinners that stand out. I know nothing of Bashir but Tom Hartley is an odd choice as well.

I follow Lancs and Hartley is a slow bowler rather than a spinner. He bats a bit but I wouldn't have him near the test squad.

Presumably Dawson has pissed McCullum off as there's no justification for not picking him
I'm not sure I'd have Tom near the One Day Squad or the Lions. He hardly took a wicket either in the first class game (BB 2-10 in 10 matches) or the Blast (7 wickets in 14 matches, BB 1-11) this year. He doesn't play List A for Lancashire. BB in his ODIs 0-48. Is this franchise cricket playing a role in test match selection, already?

Thankfully they have Ahmed, Leach and Root ahead in the queue.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hartley is 6'4 and bowls quick, so maybe they think he'll be an Axar clone?

I dunno anything else about him, but I imagine there should be at least a handful of spinners ahead of him in the pecking order?

kevinw

International 12th Man
If Stokes can't bowl then you do what you can to get Dawson to play. He is the only bowler who you could pass off as a number seven.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The management of Stokes injury has been very odd

Just going by his movement in the field, he should not have toured New Zealand some time ago and had the operation that off season

Now he’s going on another tour less than 100%

If he’s not fit, stay home and rehab

Not as if he’s missing much

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Stokes was never going to bowl in India, this isn’t news, no?
Maybe could have gone for surgery the moment the Ashes finished?

Retired from ODI's due to workload and yet came back when he was held together by sticky tape.

I said at the time, I hope we don't don't regret his decision to come out of retirement at the expense of the India series. Him not being able to be an all rounder means we have to pick a weakened and unbalanced side again.

Last edited:

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Neither Dawson or Jacks were given a central contract, so have signed franchise deals which they have decided to honour. For me the squad is all about those not selected. Jennings, Bohannon, Hain, Lawrence, Rew, Tongue, Potts, Dawson, Jacks, Bess. Stokes can’t possibly be match fit. If Bashir & Hartley are there “for the experience” then that’s two squad places totally wasted. 0-5 looks very predictable unfortunately.