• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Flem274*

123/5
Pick Crowe as an opener and put Mitchell at 5.
Opening with Crowe feels so wrong lol

I think he makes my seconds now along with Conway. Idk, I might be conservative. It is tricky to compare because the game has changed and that WC in particular was unacceptably easy for batting. Mitchell's success in other formats and general big dick energy make his case as much as his current record imo.

Conway
Guptill
Fleming (c)
Mitchell
Styris
Elliott
Parore (wk)
Santner
Mills
Henry
Morrison

Lol the difference between those quicks and challenging for the first team is the ****house death bowling. That team needs peak Ferguson or perhaps even current Adam Milne but Morrison was the slightly better quick overall. How were the early era guys like Chats, Lance Cairns and Sneddon at the death? I've sort of assumed Mills and Henry are the much more modern and talented versions of them. Then there's even earlier bowlers like Taylor, Dayle Hadlee and Collinge but that's from the dawn of ODIs.

The middle order in this team is a who's who of NZ World Cup BDE.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I will have only 1 change . Replace Starc with Klusener. Klusener, Richards and Sachin to be combined 5th bowler .
Starc is the highest wicket taker of two back to back World Cups; even Player of the Tournament once. And while this World Cup wasn't particularly great for him, he was instrumental in the most important Aussie victories. So with a heavy heart, if you must have to remove a bowler for Klusner; it has to be Akram....

shortpitched713

International Captain
Starc is the highest wicket taker of two back to back World Cups; even Player of the Tournament once. And while this World Cup wasn't particularly great for him, he was instrumental in the most important Aussie victories. So with a heavy heart, if you must have to remove a bowler for Klusner; it has to be Akram....
Quit the faux hand wringing, and just honestly say you would gleefully exclude Wasim Akram.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two spinners is always overkill and no way you'd remove the greatest ODI bowler of all time. Plus there are way too many top order batsmen batting out of order in that side.

TheJediBrah

Warne was great in 1 World Cup. Hogg helped win 2 and is a better bat and way better fielder than Warne. Warne was a liability in the field after the first 10 overs.

Hogg being in the ring with some combination of Symonds, Ponting and Clarke is an underrated part of what made that team as good as they were

And I'm for from a Warne hater. IMO he's one of the top 3 cricketers of all time

TheJediBrah

Btw history will tell you exactly what happens if you pick Warne for your ATG world cup team to represent the planet. He tests positive for Clenbuterol and gets banned right before the tournament and you have to play Hogg anyway

Victor Ian

International Coach
Doesn't history also say that in 3 finals he played, he received 3 MOMs? Kind of flies in the face of your Gilchrist position.

TheJediBrah

Look I'm not anti Warne so much as I'm pro Hogg, and pro-Klusener. Even Symonds maybe (as 5th bowler obviously)