• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***THE FINAL- India vs Australia - November 19th - Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm gonna be honest, I think india wasted those early conditions a bit. Tons of wides/extra, shami barely looked like he could control the ball in his first two overs, and the wickets india did get where from two wide half trackers and an LBW that was outside the line. Bumrah bowled really well in between the **** wickets, but they definitely didn't maximize it.
Rahul was shocking. They really had a chance to apply proper scoreboard pressure by making it feel impossible to score but you can't do that when your keeper is giving up wides and byes all over the place by not gloving the ball cleanly. I think by the end of the powerplay extras was still top scorer or close to it

subshakerz

International Coach
Once Aus made the final it was basically over. India were like deers in the headlights from the get go. Even Sharma was streaky AF early on.

Honestly, as soon as those eleven uber-masculine, self-confident-but-not-over-confident Aussies strode onto the park for the anthems, this was done. You could see fear and tension in the Indians' eyes. The Aussies carried with them a legacy - that only winning will do.

Doesn't matter where, doesn't matter who they are playing. If you're up against Aus in a WC KO game, you're generally ****ed because they know if they don't come home with the trophy they will be rightfully excoriated and disowned by their people. It breeds excellence.

They also eat steak, not this vegan ****.
Every ICC trophy India fails in gives them more pressure to win in the next, and no matter how good the team they build, they can't withstand it.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well done Aussies, didn't think this team had it in them. Seems they peaked at the right time and stepped up.

Enjoying listening to the idea that Aus were just lucky, or that India had an off day and so on. Classy. lol

India played as well as they were allowed. Fact is that as raging favourites with every advantage at home all tournament and in front of their own crowds, they just got spanked when it counted by a team who weren't overawed by any of it and were too good for them. No shame in being thoroughly outplayed, it happens. Just gotta doff ya cap (or not lol).

subshakerz

International Coach
Imo main turning points with the help of hindsight:
1. Rohit getting out when he did since Gill was already out.
2. Shami getting the new ball instead of Siraj which turned out that both were crap with their new roles. India panicked because of the low total and thought they had to go all out attack with the new ball but both the bowlers couldn't adapt to the sudden change of plans.
3. Eventually india just choked, they couldn't perform at their absolute best on the day that counted whereas Aus prepared for the conditions and planned for individual players and executed them to perfection.
No the main turning point of the entire game was Cummins getting Kohli out. Kohli was looking comfortable and until he was at the crease, 280/300 was on the cards and the match was in the balance. You could sense India lost a lot of confidence when he wasn't there.

The feel when he got him out was that was a big moment. Rohit did his job. The entire bowling lineup was shaken.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
No the main turning point of the entire game was Cummins getting Kohli out. Kohli was looking comfortable and until he was at the crease, 280/300 was on the cards and the match was in the balance. You could sense India lost a lot of confidence when he wasn't there.

The feel when he got him out was that was a big moment. Rohit did his job. The entire bowling lineup was shaken.
Agreed, tho you would except Rahul, Iyer and Jade to have added the final flourish, after Kohli and Rohit had laid down the platform

Black_Hawk

Cricket Spectator
Imo main turning points with the help of hindsight:
1. Rohit getting out when he did since Gill was already out.
2. Shami getting the new ball instead of Siraj which turned out that both were crap with their new roles. India panicked because of the low total and thought they had to go all out attack with the new ball but both the bowlers couldn't adapt to the sudden change of plans.
3. Eventually india just choked, they couldn't perform at their absolute best on the day that counted whereas Aus prepared for the conditions and planned for individual players and executed them to perfection.
Also, since Rohit stuck to the same aggressor template (even after Gill went cheaply) and got out soon after Iyer's wicket was crucial. Him failing subsequently was a major blow. It made KL become watchful and he slowly went into a shell. Forgot to hit big and I think at one point India for 10+ overs had zero boundaries. That was unacceptable. Sank the ship.

When India came out to bowl if they had taken an additional 2 more wickets in the first hour of play then perhaps the result could have been different but once Head got going it was game over.

Gob

International Coach
Indian Cricket is a institutional failure and should be relegated to Associate status.

Seriously what an organisation of professional losers and short-comers.
What's you take on Pat Cummins decision to not to shove Modi off the podium after receiving the trophy unlike the noted Australian hero Damien Martyn

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
They came in around 5 or so overs too early one feels. If Kohli had gotten out 30 or so runs later, it would have been a different game.
I think that was one of India's weaknesses relative to the other teams, that your number 6 and 7 are really inflexible in those terms

subshakerz

International Coach
Also, since Rohit stuck to the same aggressor template (even after Gill went cheaply) and got out soon after Iyer's wicket was crucial. Him failing subsequently was a major blow. It made KL become watchful and he slowly went into a shell. Forgot to hit big and I think at one point India for 10+ overs had zero boundaries. That was unacceptable. Sank the ship.

When India came out to bowl if they had taken an additional 2 more wickets in the first hour of play then perhaps the result could have been different but once Head got going it was game over.
Nah, Rohit played these opening cameos the whole tournament so getting out early wasn't a big deal. India rebuilt after that, albeit slowly. 80/2 is a decent start in 10 overs. It was up to the rest of the lineup to take it forward and they scored 4 boundaries in the last 40 overs;

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I think that's off the mark and you can't really pin this on the batting capabilities of your no 8. India had the strongest top 7 in the tournament really and those guys have to deliver when it counts.

Look at SA with Jansen coming in at 7 and nothing much after that. That tail didn't stop Miller from scoring a 100 with a SR of 87 when he came in at no. 6. Even if you take the Aussies, Maxwell scored his double when they were 7 down for 90ish with only Cummins left with any kind of decent batting ability. These guys didn't care about the batting ability of the tail, they stood up when their team needed them, took the risks, played their shots and delivered when it mattered.

India's batting didn't work because they did not perform under pressure. Rahul and SKY struggled to get it away and Iyer got out playing a poor shot. Jadeja came in ahead of SKY to try and build an innings but he failed at that. Gill miscued one. All these guys are top players who can win games on their own. They don't need a number 8 to give them a safety net.

De Silva was on a radio station today morning and I was listening in as I drove in to work. Some of the questions centered around his 100 in the finals and also his knock in the SF against India. Not once did he talk about the batting ability of the tail giving him freedom in his approach or impacting his mindset on those days. His main comment was regarding on-field experience to deal with the pressure of the situation. In fact, I've found the clip online so here you go (he talks about it towards the end of this):

I was listening to this aswell ..

Silva was spot on , he basically said the senior players have to step up , you don't leave the job to others
OH **** YEAH

Three weeks without this possibility has literally been a living hell.
Have you recovered from your sickness?

Black_Hawk

Cricket Spectator
Nah, Rohit played these opening cameos the whole tournament so getting out early wasn't a big deal. India rebuilt after that, albeit slowly. 80/2 is a decent start in 10 overs. It was up to the rest of the lineup to take it forward and then scored 4 boundaries in the last 40 overs;
That is the thing... Rohit knew at the back of his head that Iyer was to come and he was in good touch. That cushion made him play the aggressor. Little did he know that Iyer would have a bad day at the office.

In any case I felt sticking to the same template yesterday after Gill fell wasn't perhaps the right approach. But seems pointless now to think about it...

Molehill

International Captain
Pains me to say it, but congrats Australia, saved the best to last and grabbed the key moments of the match. Head catching Rohit the key to me, another 10 overs of Rohit and the game could well have been gone. I thought Cummins was outstanding both with the ball and his bowling changes, undoubtedly his best game of the tournament.

Kind of funny seeing the scenes at the end, an empty stadium, the most awkward trophy presentation ever etc etc. Kind of got the ending the tournament deserved - it really wasn't a good one (only 1 game out of 48 still had something riding on it in the final over).

Spark

Global Moderator
Pains me to say it, but congrats Australia, saved the best to last and grabbed the key moments of the match. Head catching Rohit the key to me, another 10 overs of Rohit and the game could well have been gone. I thought Cummins was outstanding both with the ball and his bowling changes, undoubtedly his best game of the tournament.

Kind of funny seeing the scenes at the end, an empty stadium, the most awkward trophy presentation ever etc etc. Kind of got the ending the tournament deserved - it really wasn't a good one (only 1 game out of 48 still had something riding on it in the final over).
Did you see that drone show or whatever it was? Wtf was that all about?

Molehill

International Captain
Did you see that drone show or whatever it was? Wtf was that all about?
I was only flicking in and out of it (watching Aussies celebrate is not my idea of fun) but I was stunned to see about an hour after it had finished the presentation only just seeming to start.

And obviously the Curb Your Enthusiasm meme is all over the Cummins/Modi moment.