• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***THE FINAL- India vs Australia - November 19th - Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No I think you are assessing this wrong. You just don’t simply win the WC like that.
Which part is wrong? I feel like Australia just did. India had 3 bowlers in the top 8 wicket takers, Australia 1. India had four batsmen in the top 8 run scorers, Australia 1. If you do it by average, Australia has one bowler (who bowled +10 overs) in the top 20, and 1 in the top 11/2 in the top 19. Yes I've cherry-picked those numbers to suit my narrative, but they still stick out to say this team was one that ultimately won the big moments, rather than played consistently dominant cricket.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Anyway, good morning all. Was a lovely, cleansing yoga class this morning ahead of World Gloat Day.

Looking forward to revisiting some of the more brazen pronouncements of our Indian colleagues over the next few hours/ days/ years. Particularly some of the more odious blow ins.
Happy gloating. In all fairness, hard not to gloat at this Indian setup's misfortunes. Most of my generation keep supporting the Indian team as a relic from our childhood years, a compulsory tragedy of sorts. But I can imagine what it must be like as a neutral to stand by and watch the crass show of wealth and lack of good taste we've witnessed over the past month.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which part is wrong? I feel like Australia just did. India had 3 bowlers in the top 8 wicket takers, Australia 1. India had four batsmen in the top 8 run scorers, Australia 1. If you do it by average, Australia has one bowler (who bowled +10 overs) in the top 20, and 1 in the top 11/2 in the top 19. Yes I've cherry-picked those numbers to suit my narrative, but they still stick out to say this team was one that ultimately won the big moments, rather than played consistently dominant cricket.
Every member of the Australian XI bar Inglis will end their careers as being a minimum of exceptional in at least one format of the game

Throw in some genuine greats backed by brilliant fielding and they’re the last team anyone wants to face in a knockout game

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Spoken like someone who doesn't believe our Captain Pat's toss win and decision to bowl wasn't pure genius.
No one would confuse me for a cricketing genius but I've been saying that for multiple days - if you win the toss, you should chase on this pitch.

Not taking anything away from Cummins, his field placements were impeccable and crucial to the boa constrictor choke on the run rate, and he's a guy who clearly led from the front. Massive massive respect to him.

But IMO you should chase in Ahemdabad D/N game, and regardless of what Rohit said at the toss to put a positive spin on it, I bet he would have chased too if he won the toss.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately inglis played some games this WC so he couldn't get the wt20, WTC, WC trifecta without playing a game in any of them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Every member of the Australian XI bar Inglis will end their careers as being a minimum of exceptional in at least one format of the game

Throw in some genuine greats backed by brilliant fielding and they’re the last team anyone wants to face in a knockout game
At times, no doubt. But none of them bar Head and potentially Zampa could say they were on top of their powers over the past couple of months, which makes it even more impressive that they sewed it together enough to win the thing. You're right, it was a team who can all claim world class status in some format throughout their careers, but not in this format right now.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
At times, no doubt. But none of them bar Head and potentially Zampa could say they were on top of their powers over the past couple of months, which makes it even more impressive that they sewed it together enough to win the thing. You're right, it was a team who can all claim world class status in some format throughout their careers, but not in this format right now.
Aside from maxwell, who made 400 runs @67 and a sr of 150 while going at less than 5 an over across the tournament and getting occasional wickets, or warner, who made 535 runs @49 and a sr of 110, or marsh, who made 441 runs @49 and a sr of 107. Bowling outside zampa and maybe haze was a concern going into the knockouts, but starc and cummins regressed to mean so that was never a problem in execution.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bro would it hurt you that much to give some credit where it's due

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia didn't really have any passengers in the final XI for the knockouts, everyone else had at least one (Latham, SKY, Bavuma). I actually like the squads being restricted to 15 for this reason.

DriveClub

International Regular
Australia didn't really have any passengers in the final XI for the knockouts, everyone else had at least one (Latham, SKY, Bavuma). I actually like the squads being restricted to 15 for this reason.
Steve Smith, marnus, inglis were all carried largely. Marnus redeemed himself with a good supporting act in the final. Didn't include stoinis cos he's not capable of producing anything noteworthy

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bro would it hurt you that much to give some credit where it's due
Maatteee...I think it's more impressive based on what I'm saying. The most impressive thing to me is cricketers who get it done in the pressure moments. Australia got that in spades throughout the tournament, they dove-tailed perfectly in terms of their performances. Maxwell stepped up in a huge moment. Head did it in both knockout games. Cummins bowled his best spell in the final. Marnus delivered. Across the tournament, everyone in the top 3 scored two hundreds around a few failures. The bowlers didn't necessarily have wonderful stats (Zampa aside) but all contributed when required. It was the epitome of how a team should win a tournament.

That enough Jeddi boy?

Niall

International Coach
Steve Smith, marnus, inglis were all carried largely. Marnus redeemed himself with a good supporting act in the final. Didn't include stoinis cos he's not capable of producing anything noteworthy
I was critical of Inglis earlier, but as pointed out the cameo v South Africa was very handy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They had three of the top four or five scores in the tournament though. ODIs are a batting competition. If you're making big individual scores you're generally winning them.

Mind you, tournaments are always about moments and playing them better. Regardless of the sport. Which is why India will always have the 1997 Singer Cup Final in Sharjah or whatever the **** the non-event was to celebrate. And good for them. Cute.