• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the Australian WC Winning Teams

Which of the Aus WC Winning Sides was the Greatest?

• 1987 - Border's Beasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1999 - Waugh's Warriors

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 2003 - Ponting's Perfectos

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • 2007 - Punter's Prizewinners

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • 2015 - Clarke's Conquerors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 - Cumdog Millionaires

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So many to choose from, I know. What order do you put them in, and why? If you didn't see the 87 outfit, feel free to leave them out and rank the others.

Spikey

07 - unbeaten, and as I recall not close to being beaten
03 - also unbeaten but at least made to work for it more - england and NZ games and they were in a tight spot in the semi final against SL
2015 - lost a game so can't really rank it higher than 03 and 07
2023 - hard to separate from 1999 so I'll lose the tie in the 99 semi as a tiebreaker
1987 - lol they didn't even play in colour back then

TheJediBrah

I would back the 03 team to beat the 07 team tbh (even though mostly the same players)

03 team didn't dominate as much because they had stronger opposition

Spikey

03 team was a lot more affected by injury iirc

and by shane warne being a drug cheat

Gob

International Coach
Are we talking about the strength of the sides or the greatness of the campaign?

If its the former, 03 and 07 are head and shoulders ahead. 07 was probably slightly better than 03

If its the latter, its this one. This is a bit of a shock really

TheJediBrah

03 v 07

I've bolded the better player (or in better form)

Gilchrist = Gilchrist
Hayden < Hayden
Ponting
> Ponting
Martyn = Clarke
Lehmann = Watson
Bevan > Hussey
Symonds > Symonds
Hogg = Hogg
Lee > Bracken
Gillespie/Bichel = Tait
McGrath = McGrath

So the 2003 team is better. They had 4 better out of 11 and the only spot that was better in 07 was Hayden's form

Burgey

If its the latter, its this one. This is a bit of a shock really
Yeah this really isn't what you'd call a vintage outfit, but what can you say? Winning a WC away from home, especially on the SC is a massive result for an Australian side.

Then again, it's Australia. Winning WCs is what they do.

Athlai

Not Terrible
03 v 07

Gilchrist = Gilchrist
Hayden < Hayden
Ponting
> Ponting
Martyn = Clarke
Lehmann = Watson
Bevan > Hussey
Symonds > Symonds
Hogg = Hogg
Lee > Bracken
Gillespie/Bichel = Tait
McGrath = McGrath

So the 2003 team is better. They had 4 better out of 11 and the only spot that was better in 07 was Hayden's form
Clarke > Martyn and Hussey was in insane form in 07. Reckon Bracken severely underrated here too.

Also think McGrath 07 was about as complete an ODI bowler as you could possibly imagine

TheJediBrah

Clarke > Martyn and Hussey was in insane form in 07. Reckon Bracken severely underrated here too.

Also think McGrath 07 was about as complete an ODI bowler as you could possibly imagine
Hussey didn't make a run in the 07 WC and he definitely wasn't as good as Bevan

McGrath was just as good in 03 as he was in 07 and Bracken was absolutely great but Lee in 03 was unplayable with the new rock

You might have a point about Clarke & Martyn but even if Clarke was better it's not by much, and Martyn saved his best for the final which as we all know is the only game that really matters. Even if I give you that it's still 03 that is better

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hussey didn't make a run in the 07 WC and he definitely wasn't as good as Bevan

McGrath was just as good in 03 as he was in 07 and Bracken was absolutely great but Lee in 03 was unplayable with the new rock

You might have a point about Clarke & Martyn but even if Clarke was better it's not by much, and Martyn saved his best for the final which as we all know is the only game that really matters. Even if I give you that it's still 03 that is better
He was a one man show leading into the World Cup in the Chappel Hadlee.

Definitely had a poor world cup statswise in 07 but wasn't it just all cameo icing innings? Was surplus to requirements

TheJediBrah

He was a one man show leading into the World Cup in the Chappel Hadlee.
Because every one else was rested. He captained the serious despite being like 5th in line lol

Definitely had a poor world cup statswise in 07 but wasn't it just all cameo icing innings? Was surplus to requirements
Correct, but whichever way you slice it you can't put him on a par with Michael Bevan. Possibly the greatest Aus ODI bat of all time. Bevan also won the England game and NZ game (with Bichel) off his own bat in 2003

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
03 v 07

Gilchrist = Gilchrist
Hayden < Hayden
Ponting
> Ponting
Martyn = Clarke
Lehmann = Watson
Bevan > Hussey
Symonds > Symonds
Hogg = Hogg
Lee > Bracken
Gillespie/Bichel = Tait
McGrath = McGrath

Watson's bowling puts him of Lehmann

WICFan

U19 Captain
2007 - Don't think they were troubled throughout the tournament.
2003 - Bevan to the rescue against England, Symonds steadied the ship in the semi-final.
2015 - Once they got to the k/o stage they didn't look troubled.
2023 - Poor start, couple of close calls against Afghanistan and New Zealand. Won well when it mattered most.
1999 - Rode their luck.
1987 - N/A. I was only a couple of years old.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because every one else was rested. He captained the serious despite being like 5th in line lol

Correct, but whichever way you slice it you can't put him on a par with Michael Bevan. Possibly the greatest Aus ODI bat of all time. Bevan also won the England game and NZ game (with Bichel) off his own bat in 2003
Hussey > Bevan