• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
They have been poor in this format since the last World Cup. Kohli has scored as many ODIs tons in the last 12 months than Bairstow, Root, Stokes and Buttler have combined since the 2019 WC. So it should not come as any surprise.
If only we would have Crawley, Duckett, Pope and Salt in the batting line up …..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If I've understood the situation properly:

Definitely playing their last ODI today:
Malan, Stokes, Moeen and Willey

Probably playing their last ODI today
Woakes and Rashid

Maybe playing their last ODI today
Bairstow and Root (unless they bring Joe back again for the next WC)
Maybe Buttler if he decides to call it a day.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain

Woakes and Rashid

I would say that Root might play again, the others shouldn’t. I hope Wiley goes out on a high today.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Woakes and Rashid

Did I miss the top four (other than Willey) being confirmed?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Did I miss the top four (other than Willey) being confirmed?
Pedant.

Actually Moeen pretty well said as much the other day when he talked about this being the time to move on.
As for Malan and Stokes, their age and knees respectively make them as close to definite as one could want. In my opinion, anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pedant.

Actually Moeen pretty well said as much the other day when he talked about this being the time to move on.
As for Malan and Stokes, their age and knees respectively make them as close to definite as one could want. In my opinion, anyway.
Haha no I was genuinely asking. Thought maybe something had been announced in the last day or two

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
If only we would have Crawley, Duckett, Pope and Salt in the batting line up …..
Delighted that all four( Crawley, Duckett, Pope and Salt ) are included for the WI odi squad. Had they played in the World Cup our batting would I believe have been way more solid. Not sure about the bowling changes though …

loterry1994

International Debutant
I don’t think Englands World Cup approach to their batting was wrong at all. It’s just they didn’t have much players in form to do it, if they had a few players in form then their team could of looked way better this tournament.

you look at India, Aus and South Africa all who made the top 4. They play a very similar style to England. Where they’ll have powerful openers to try get fast starts, have an anchor guy in the middle then more power in the middle/lower order and maybe an all rounder or 2. These days you need big scores most the time in odis because you’ll play on more flatter pitches most games, then the rules are against you also with power plays, time penalties, 2 balls, free hits etc. modern day odis reward aggressive play more

Sunster25

Cricket Spectator
Overall, I found England’s campaign to be arrogant. They thought they could just turn up and it would all fit into place. Without wanting to offend anyone but they have in the last few years been flat track bullies.

The most laughable comment during the World Cup was when Key noted they should have recruited in hindsight someone with local knowledge of Mumbai. Their own captain used to play for Mumbai Indians and all you need is a weather app 😁

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Overall, I found England’s campaign to be arrogant. They thought they could just turn up and it would all fit into place.

The most laughable comment during the World Cup was when Key noted they should have recruited in hindsight someone with local knowledge of Mumbai. Their own captain used to play for Mumbai Indians and all you need is a weather app 😁
Removed the incorrect part but what's left is absolutely spot on.

The XI that played between world cups was very different to what actually played this world cup. That's more the point.

We actually won games on difficult tracks, whitewashed Bangladesh in their own patch on some very difficult wickets. Malan and Roy with some great centuries.

In hindsight should have just left that as the opening partnership.

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
Australia won the WC with 9 of their 11 being in their Ashes line up.

if only England had gone with 9 of the 11 from Bazball . Crawley, Duckett, Moheen,, Root, Stokes, Brook, Buttler, Woakes, Wood, Anderson, Topley . Somehow I think that team would have performed better.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Removed the incorrect part but what's left is absolutely spot on.

The XI that played between world cups was very different to what actually played this world cup. That's more the point.

We actually won games on difficult tracks, whitewashed Bangladesh in their own patch on some very difficult wickets. Malan and Roy with some great centuries.

In hindsight should have just left that as the opening partnership.
You could argue that the return of Bairstow ****ed up both the Ashes and the World Cup. Having said that, Roy's back spasms came at the wrong time and basically ruled him out.