• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
While England are struggling to crack the top 8, can be proud at least that this thread documenting their failures is tracking to be top 3-4 of the sub-forum. Just another 6 pages to take 3rd I think.

Always a silver lining.
That's because non England supporters on here are obsessed with us.

If we don't qualify for the CT, you lot will be more upset than us England supporters as most of you post far more about England than you do your own country.

You're obsessed with us I tell you, obsessed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's because non England supporters on here are obsessed with us.

If we don't qualify for the CT, you lot will be more upset than us England supporters as most of you post far more about England than you do your own country.

You're obsessed with us I tell you, obsessed.
Its only really coz your ancestors were obsessed with ours. :ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FFs we've had a bad tournament, but were holders of 2 World Cups, seems an odd time to talk about systematic failures and how it's all gone wrong since KP.

Just a great team, that has come to it's end, and with plenty of youngsters to make a clean break, probably better we can make a clean break, rather than if we'd had a middling tournament.

Molehill

International Captain
FFs we've had a bad tournament, but were holders of 2 World Cups, seems an odd time to talk about systematic failures and how it's all gone wrong since KP.

Just a great team, that has come to it's end, and with plenty of youngsters to make a clean break, probably better we can make a clean break, rather than if we'd had a middling tournament.
Another factor was only getting 2.5 matches out of our two best fast bowlers (Topley and Archer). Apart from Nortje, the 4 who have qualified have basically had full bowling squads to choose from (note Pakistan have also missed Naseem).

But the issue was more with the batting anyway, for some reason, most of them just seemed bang out of form.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
At it's heart, it's been the form of Bairstow, Buttler and Root that has really hurt us.

Malan and Stokes have done OK, and the bowling hasn't performed much worse than we would have expected. Our white ball success in recently has been built predominantly around our batting.

But 3 of our big guns have completely misfired. Players like Livingston and Mo have been in too early and haven't been able to rescue us but the real damage had already been done.

I think we need to look at the captaincy with Buttler. I'm not unhappy with him as skipper but has keeping and captaining impacted his batting?

If it has, then maybe he needs to give it up as he's been a million miles away from his best and that can't continue.

thierry henry

International Coach
Guys I've been very well behaved this tournament, can you please do the absolute bare minimum for me and not let Pakistan beat you by 300?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Another factor was only getting 2.5 matches out of our two best fast bowlers (Topley and Archer). Apart from Nortje, the 4 who have qualified have basically had full bowling squads to choose from (note Pakistan have also missed Naseem).

But the issue was more with the batting anyway, for some reason, most of them just seemed bang out of form.
Yeah, like Archer was ever any chance of getting on the park in the first place.

He's done. Finished. Kaput.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, like Archer was ever any chance of getting on the park in the first place.

He's done. Finished. Kaput.
Eh, maybe but it’s not unheard of for bowlers to go through lengthy periods of injury and come through it. I reckon he will play for England again but only with a white ball.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh, maybe but it’s not unheard of for bowlers to go through lengthy periods of injury and come through it. I reckon he will play for England again but only with a white ball.
Yeah I see your point, can't see it happening in this particular case though.

Have heard people compare him to Cummins in that respect, but it really isn't the same at all. Pat wasn't even 24 yet when he made his return to Test cricket in India, Archer was already that age before he made his international dayboo.

You may be right about him being able to play at least some occasional white ball cricket for England. But that really is the best you can hope for imo

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I see your point, can't see it happening in this particular case though.

Have heard people compare him to Cummins in that respect, but it really isn't the same at all. Pat wasn't even 24 yet when he made his return to Test cricket in India, Archer was already that age before he made his international dayboo.

You may be right about him being able to play at least some occasional white ball cricket for England. But that really is the best you can hope for imo
Oh yeah the Cummins thing doesn’t work, he debuted so
young.

I would be happy enough just having Joffra for the T20 WCs