• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Bangladesh 2023/24

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That is ridiculous. Pick younger, better, faster bowlers. We have them.
Who would you pick? Nathan Smith is a jet but probably isn't a subcontinent-suited bowler. Duffy definitely isn't. Fisher is injured and can't stay on the field, and Sears hasn't started the season well

Howsie

International Captain
Who would you pick? Nathan Smith is a jet but probably isn't a subcontinent-suited bowler. Duffy definitely isn't. Fisher is injured and can't stay on the field, and Sears hasn't started the season well
When has Wagner ever been a Subcontinent-suited bowler? Even in his prime he wasn’t that, the corpse of Wagner most definitely isn’t. Not that I would pick Fisher but you say he can’t stay on the field…. Neil Wagner over the course of the year, injured at the end of last summer, injured in the winter, and injured just this last month. Ben Sears hasn’t started the season well…. Have you looked at Wagner’s record to begin the summer

You’re giving me some Gary Stead vibes with that post Steve, looking for reasons to try and not pick younger players so you can fit in an old tired horse.

Flem274*

123/5
When has Wagner ever been a Subcontinent-suited bowler? Even in his prime he wasn’t that, the corpse of Wagner most definitely isn’t. Not that I would pick Fisher but you say he can’t stay on the field…. Neil Wagner over the course of the year, injured at the end of last summer, injured in the winter, and injured just this last month. Ben Sears hasn’t started the season well…. Have you looked at Wagner’s record to begin the summer

You’re giving me some Gary Stead vibes with that post Steve, looking for reasons to try and not pick younger players so you can fit in an old tired horse.
I understand not wanting to send a young guy to the least pace friendly country in the world, which is why I'd be looking to those serviceable and experienced guys who are still in their prime like Doug Bracewell.

We should have debuted the young boys last summer at home against less fancied opposition but we've got two big series coming up so we'll be looking to the old firm of Southee, Jamieson, Henry I think.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Wagner was definitely injured, ND mentioned it on their instagram. But recovered now, hence he’s playing again.

But agree, even in his prime he was spectacularly ineffective in subcontinent conditions. On the expected slow low Bangladesh mud pools, he’ll offer absolutely nothing at this stage of his career.

(Probable 20fer coming now I’ve said that)

Flem274*

123/5
Wagner was definitely injured, ND mentioned it on their instagram. But recovered now, hence he’s playing again.

But agree, even in his prime he was spectacularly ineffective in subcontinent conditions. On the expected slow low Bangladesh mud pools, he’ll offer absolutely nothing at this stage of his career.

(Probable 20fer coming now I’ve said that)
I think he has some good performances there iirc and we've definitely missed him in Asia and the UAE when we dropped him. A pace bowler with a huge engine and a lot of variations is a big asset when you're trying to grind through the opposition over there. They won't necessarily get the 5fer like the spinner but they have a role.

That Wagner is done though I think.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, if fergo is fit right now I would have gambled on him or a young guy who's a bit different like o'rourke over wagner.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm surprised they didn't pick Kuggs, so looking at it that way it could have been worse.
Atleast his selection this time would be somewhat justified based on form, even if he's morally repugnant. Did well vs Aus-A and is actually taking runs in the PS this season.

ataraxia

International Coach
I would prefer Kuggs over Wagner – or like about 20 others. He's 38 by the end of the summer; it's understandable that he's past it.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh squad for the New Zealand Test series: Najmul Hossain Shanto (Captain), Mahmudul Hasan Joy, Zakir Hasan, Shadman Islam, Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim, Nurul Hasan Sohan, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Taijul Islam, Naeem Hasan, Khaled Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Hasan Mahmud, Shahadat Hossain Dipu, Hasan Morad.

I think we made a mistake by going with only three pace bowlers for the entire series. Hasan Morad did well in NCL but I don’t think he adds any more value to the team as we already have left arm spin of Taijul and offies Miraz and Naeem in the squad. So this is the kind of thing for which I want this selection panel to be shown the door. Mushfik Hasan would have been much better choice and also we are playing in sylhet. The pitch has good carry and bounce and nothing like slow or turner. Hasan Mahmud is a good addition. He played in NCL immediately after coming from world cup and picked up few wickets. Think hes the key in sylhet if we are to be anywhere near competitive.