• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

thundaboult

International Debutant
2027 world cup for us will need a completely new team. It could be what we need. Getting extremely turned off from nz cricket blowing 99% of our semi finals/finals. This time not only did we lose to the teams we usually lose to, but we also lost multiple games to teams we always have the wood over.

4 years is an eternity from now. Time to focus on the t20 world cup coming up in basically half a year lol. Might just be the perfect season this one, to make wholesale changes and introduce the newbies.

Flem274*

123/5
This should be the end in odis for anyone who won't make at least the champions trophy, but we've never had the ruthless focus on building for a tournament like aus or England. The good boys will remain.

2027 in SA is the only white ball goal that matters.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This should be the end in odis for anyone who won't make at least the champions trophy, but we've never had the ruthless focus on building for a tournament like aus or England. The good boys will remain.

2027 in SA is the only white ball goal that matters.
It will interesting to see if Sam Wells will want change and if he is up against a coach/captain/senior players who won't.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Crystal ball gazing for 2027 (estimated ages):

1. Batsman who hasn't debuted yet (Mariu?)/Allen (28)
2. Ravindra (27/28)
3. Foxcroft (29)
4. Phillips (30)
5. Abbas (23)
6. Chu+ (27)/Seifert+ (32/33)
7. Clarkson (30)
8. Santner (35)/Smith (29)
9. Shipley (32)
10. Jamieson (32)/Seamer who hasn't debuted yet
11. Ashok (25)

Loads of bowling options

Overall squad, Conway could be there as the "elder statesman" at age 36, and depending on how Will Young's career goes he would be 34 and could be cemented in at number 4 - or he could be languishing in domestics.

Bowling wise we might be in good stock, Foulkes, Fisher, O'Rourke and Sheat could be in the side - even Duffy a possibility(would be 33). Kristian Clarke amongst it. Wicketkeeper position is a big unknown but I like Chu. Not many current batsmen I can think of waiting in the wings. Chapman would be 33 and still knocking about.

Howsie

International Captain
It will interesting to see if Sam Wells will want change and if he is up against a coach/captain/senior players who won't.
Absolutely no chance. It’s Stead and the senior players that select these teams, Sam Wells isn’t going to change anything. Yeah sure we might get the odd small away tour or a home series against a Bangladesh or the like where we trail a few guys, but that’s about it.

As I said from the day he was hired Stead is nothing but a yes man, a sackless man whose father was a sackless man and his father before him. He’s made one big call his entire coaching career and I can guarantee his job was threatened after that (I’m sure most can guess what that call was).

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Crystal ball gazing for 2027 (estimated ages):

1. Batsman who hasn't debuted yet (Mariu?)/Allen (28)
2. Ravindra (27/28)
3. Foxcroft (29)
4. Phillips (30)
5. Abbas (23)
6. Chu+ (27)/Seifert+ (32/33)
7. Clarkson (30)
8. Santner (35)/Smith (29)
9. Shipley (32)
10. Jamieson (32)/Seamer who hasn't debuted yet
11. Ashok (25)

Loads of bowling options

Overall squad, Conway could be there as the "elder statesman" at age 36, and depending on how Will Young's career goes he would be 34 and could be cemented in at number 4 - or he could be languishing in domestics.

Bowling wise we might be in good stock, Foulkes, Fisher, O'Rourke and Sheat could be in the side - even Duffy a possibility(would be 33). Kristian Clarke amongst it. Wicketkeeper position is a big unknown but I like Chu. Not many current batsmen I can think of waiting in the wings. Chapman would be 33 and still knocking about.
Just reminded me that Abbas hasn't made his List A or even T20 debut yet. It'll be interesting to see what he can do.

Flem274*

123/5
Looking at the squad and wider bunch who were considered, I think we'll have less retirements in 2027 than expected. It sounds like KW wants another go and I think the late bloomers like Conway and Mitchell will force us to drop them before they give up their opportunities. I don't trust any kiwi quick older than 34 in 2027 to make it. Looking at this list, we need to build the next generation of bowlers but you just know NZC won't have the foresight to do it. There's probably a crucial T20 driblet cup next year. Can't risk our semi-final berth in that.

Conway
Ravindra
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Southee
Ferguson
Boult

Henry

Sodhi
Young
Neesham

Jamieson
Macewell
Blundell
Milne
McConchie

My prediction:

Conway
Ravindra
Williamson (c)
Mitchell
Phillips
Clarkson
Chu (wk)
Santner
Clarke
O'Rourke
Sears

Clarke and O'Rourke are young talents who have taken to white ball and should be peaking around 2027. I think the futures of KJ and Shipley are more in red ball cricket, and KJ has made his bank robbing some dumb franchise blind so he doesn't need to reduce himself to a T20 level. Sears I'm going on hope that pure raw talent rises to the top, and Clarkson should already have ODIs to his name.

Meridio

International Regular
Chu doesn't strike me as a limited overs keeper/bat tbh, from what I've seen of him he's more in the Watling mould of nuggety test bat. Don't rate Seifert and can't think of many young keepers around...Mitch Hay seems to be making a pretty good start to his domestic career; haven't seen much of him but he may be an option.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Looking at the squad and wider bunch who were considered, I think we'll have less retirements in 2027 than expected. It sounds like KW wants another go and I think the late bloomers like Conway and Mitchell will force us to drop them before they give up their opportunities. I don't trust any kiwi quick older than 34 in 2027 to make it. Looking at this list, we need to build the next generation of bowlers but you just know NZC won't have the foresight to do it. There's probably a crucial T20 driblet cup next year. Can't risk our semi-final berth in that.

Conway
Ravindra
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Southee
Ferguson
Boult

Henry

Sodhi
Young
Neesham

Jamieson
Macewell
Blundell
Milne
McConchie

My prediction:

Conway
Ravindra
Williamson (c)
Mitchell
Phillips
Clarkson
Chu (wk)
Santner
Clarke
O'Rourke
Sears

Clarke and O'Rourke are young talents who have taken to white ball and should be peaking around 2027. I think the futures of KJ and Shipley are more in red ball cricket, and KJ has made his bank robbing some dumb franchise blind so he doesn't need to reduce himself to a T20 level. Sears I'm going on hope that pure raw talent rises to the top, and Clarkson should already have ODIs to his name.
Solid lineup. Chu is an interesting choice, but young keepers are at a bit of premium of late. Honestly, I see Allen eventually becoming white ball keeper, but he'll need a good run at Auckland first, which'll be hard with Fletcher in front of him.

Chu doesn't strike me as a limited overs keeper/bat tbh, from what I've seen of him he's more in the Watling mould of nuggety test bat. Don't rate Seifert and can't think of many young keepers around...Mitch Hay seems to be making a pretty good start to his domestic career; haven't seen much of him but he may be an option.
I agree on Chu. Hay is interesting in that he's had a good start to his FC career, but not so much to either white ball format. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the upcoming season or two.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I didn’t say we should get meaner anywhere. I said we shouldn’t continually remind the opposition that we’re actually all mates until after the game. Being less overtly friendly is a better description of my argument.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yes, I think a less friendly environment puts the opposition under more pressure and can induce mistakes. That’s possibly part of why we **** the bed against Australia so frequently.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty sure it's because up until approx 2015 and a brief period in the 80s we have been significantly worse than them player for player.