• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #1- India vs New Zealand - November 15th - Wankhede, Mumbai (D/N)

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
The ends justify the means , when you lose there is always something you could have done better.
India don't have that problem haha

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Kohli was like Harry Potter in TriWizard cup. Save Cedric Diggory (India) or get the cup (Hundred) ..but he ended up doing both 😅

Xix2565

International Regular
His personal milestone isn't more important than a World Cup match, let alone a knockout match.

Its hardly like the milestone wasn't going to end up happening anyway
Applies to everyone though, and a lot of players tend to slow down like him near 100s, so I don't see why this never really pops up for other players.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t think it was ever a thing for Kohli, but it’s visibly happened what, 3 times in the last month? That’s why everyone immediately focussed on it again.

It’s really no big deal as long as he’s peeling off hundreds for fun again, but not acknowledging that he did slow down slightly for the milestone is a bit of head in the sand thinking.

Xix2565

International Regular
It’s really no big deal as long as he’s peeling off hundreds for fun again, but not acknowledging that he did slow down slightly for the milestone is a bit of head in the sand thinking.
Never said that, but to act like no professional cares about milestones in cricket and adjusts play at times for reaching them is stupid.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I don’t think it was ever a thing for Kohli, but it’s visibly happened what, 3 times in the last month? That’s why everyone immediately focussed on it again.

These are what you call nice life problems , I would give anything for a batsman to score hundred after hundred , I'm sure many teams would be thrilled to have a No.3 peeling hundred after hundred , he's peeling so much soon he'll be giving presentations in the local chippy factories 🏭

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Kohli did slow a bit for the hundred, which was made worse by Santner bowling really well then. In the Bangladesh match, he was focused on 100, but sped along to get it. In the SA match k, the match situation justified his approach to a large extent. However it’s tough to think of a better WC a batsmen has had. All other big WCs by batsmen have been by openers. Tough for a number three to do it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Even in a scenario where NZ chased this total that the Indians ended up with, Kohli taking his time to get to his ton wouldn't be the main thing that cost India , it would have most certainly been the bowling that would have come under scrutiny the most .

For sure it would have been talked about, but if we take it for what it is , it actually is a very minute problem , not enough to bang on about it. Batsman slow down for a variety of reasons , and I believe one of the bowlers who came on with Kohli in the 90's was Santner , who is a master at not conceding a boundary at any stage of a batsmans innings.
I mean if you wanna use selective SR to beat a batsman with you've got to apply that same energy to everyone. For example Kane Williamson was 6 off 21 at one stage in a 400 run chase , if SR is the thing that matters most to you then 6 off 21 is still really bad regardless of the situation. But not a word about Williamson so far ..
Hell, even Mitchell scored his 134 at "only" 112. I understand perceptions have gone bonkers in this regard of late but surely that's sub-optimal from the biggest hitter in your side chasing 400 while you have KW batting like KW at the other end? I didn't realize he was going that slow until he got out, probably because he kept launching people back over their heads every fifteen balls. Goes to show how much Kohli compensates for his lack of big hitting through rotation and running between wickets; 103 playing sheet anchor vs 112 chasing 400. Not much in it.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Fans are waaaay to harsh on number 7s, you’re always in when the game is either over or on the line and expected to slog, then everyone’s shocked that no one averages over 40
Was harsh to play Chapman at 7 with Latham stinking the place at 5.

Is there any actually good number 7s anyway, aside from Jadeja.

Jansen bats one place too high for me.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Even in a scenario where NZ chased this total that the Indians ended up with, Kohli taking his time to get to his ton wouldn't be the main thing that cost India , it would have most certainly been the bowling that would have come under scrutiny the most .

For sure it would have been talked about, but if we take it for what it is , it actually is a very minute problem , not enough to bang on about it. Batsman slow down for a variety of reasons , and I believe one of the bowlers who came on with Kohli in the 90's was Santner , who is a master at not conceding a boundary at any stage of a batsmans innings.
I mean if you wanna use selective SR to beat a batsman with you've got to apply that same energy to everyone. For example Kane Williamson was 6 off 21 at one stage in a 400 run chase , if SR is the thing that matters most to you then 6 off 21 is still really bad regardless of the situation. But not a word about Williamson so far ..
Yup, surprised no mentioned KW’s lack of intent. He was very lackadaisical till the very end.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Its why you need to have pitches that enable ****ing spinners once in a while over there. Ball turns an inch, SENA poster goes "its turning square". FFS.
Exactly. Kuldeep needs to be appreciated for his spell as much as possible. If there was so much turn, why was Jadeja getting bonked

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Its why you need to have pitches that enable ****ing spinners once in a while over there. Ball turns an inch, SENA poster goes "its turning square". FFS.
Yeah it appears some people don't understand the difference between turning square and turning the usual 1-2 inches.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was harsh to play Chapman at 7 with Latham stinking the place at 5.

Is there any actually good number 7s anyway, aside from Jadeja.

Jansen bats one place too high for me.
Maxwell and Nabi end up at 7 sometimes depending on when the wickets fall.

Netherlands had some joy at #7 early in the tournament no matter who they batted there.

Skyliner

International 12th Man

Tom Latham: 155 runs at 25.83 (SR 91.17); Nine catches

The biggest underperformer in the squad, Latham scored just 155 runs, 121 of which came in two innings, against Afghanistan (68) and the Netherlands (53). The first of those was crucial, coming after the Black Caps lost three wickets while adding one run against a team that turned out to be a semifinal contender. Otherwise, he provided little.