• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #1- India vs New Zealand - November 15th - Wankhede, Mumbai (D/N)

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Well played India. For once "the better team won" really encapsulates it. Also a tale of 2 captains - one taking the game by the balls and the other one no balls.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I was disappointed in Phillips. There's no bigger fan than me, but he really struggled yesterday against hittable bowling. India really have his number, they seem to know how to contain him. Chapman just had no time, it wasn't a World Cup where he could make too much impact. Hard to get any rhythm or form when you might bat for 20 balls max, and not in every game, and you don't bowl either. It puts a lot of pressure on to make impact when you do get the chance.
Phillips enormously talented but I'm wondering if he's worked himself into a corner with his technique. Maybe it's just me but I've complained several times about him always playing back (esp v spin), squaring up, relying on fast hands to cover for everything else. I don't know where he'd get the right coaching exposure, but I can imagine someone like Ricky Ponting pulling his technique apart, tweaking some things and adding some options. Would help with all formats. I looked up his IPL team but coach is Vettori, batting coach Badani, not sure that will give him what he needs.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
I could buy "small pool of players" if there weren't 18 first class counties and excluding players at the World Cup, could argue the "pick of the crop", 27 I think it was players have played ODIs 2021 to 2023 I think I said in another thread - nearly three teams' worth of players

I'd argue if anything the pool is large but not particularly deep

England prosper in no small part as it's a fairly elite Test set clique, is there another Test nation with a bigger pool of players? (India?)
"Small pool" relative to the general population I meant.

Their pool is hardly the same as the pool they have in football.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Disagree..

Jamaica king of sprinting , not an economic powerhouse nor a large population..

Eithopia and Kenya king of long distance running not super rich by any means ..

Greatest football talents come from the favelas in South America , most naturally talented rugby folks come from the Pacific Islands .

These are just a few examples of where money means very little..
Most important key to success in sports is passion and strong leadership . Money can help sustain structures but first there needs to be a love of the game. Genetics within your environment also play a big role in the success of sports.
Out of the South American countries, only Brazil and Argentina can actually win WCs.

Argentina is a first world country with high HDI. Their per capita income is on the lower side due to constant economic woes and currency depreciation. Brazil is not a first world country but it is still rich enough. It only looks poor compared to Europe. It is way richer than countries in Africa and most Asian countries. And it compensates for that with a higher population pool.

Yes, there might be poor countries who are good at one or two sports but overall if you look at it, sports excellence is directly proportional to how rich a country is. Olympic medal tallies will tell you that.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Not sure what it is about Glenn Phillips that means he should inherently be entitled to a lock on the number 5 position. He has 4 half centuries from his 30 ODI's (top score 72), Chapman has 2 hundreds from his 20 ODI's (top score 124*). Phillips has the better average at 35 while Chapman averages 30.93. Phillips has a strike rate of 97.49 while Chapman has a strike rate of 108.92.

Punk01

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bowling was the differentiating factor btw nz and Indian clearly , we have only got 1 world class bowler that's Santner

Boult was unfortunately ineffective as there was no swing,

Southee bowled pies with his gentle pace , batsman easily lined him up for 6s

Henry was good , he would have created some chances

Ferguson was ineffective on slowish surfaces and didn't adjust

Ravindra was immature with no length control

Phillips turned out to be good

India had

Bumrah with swing and death bowling arsenal

Shami with impeccable line and length with seam movement

Siraj the energy bomb

Jadeja with his control

Kuldeep with his variations and when pitch assisted him , he was very hard to hit.