• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated by CW XI and Underrated by CW XI

ma1978

International Debutant
Seems eminently reasonable tbh (apart from the omission of Barrington obvs)
This is the point - Barrington wasn’t considered elite in his time or by his peers. Some stat nerds saw his average and decided that he was some unsung hero.

ataraxia

International Coach
This is the point - Barrington wasn’t considered elite in his time or by his peers. Some stat nerds saw his average and decided that he was some unsung hero.
Agreed. It was a great injustice, a reflection of home-performance bias most prominently.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't seem to be agreeing with us.
RPW in matches involving noted FTB Mohammad Yousuf who's universally agreed upon to be worse than his average: 31.81

RPW in matches involving muh underrated persecuted Barrington: 31.85

OverratedSanity

RPW in matches involving noted FTB Mohammad Yousuf who's universally agreed upon to be worse than his average: 31.81

RPW in matches involving muh underrated persecuted Barrington: 31.85

Tbf, this is more about the eye test rather than numbers, because Yousuf just failed a lot whenever pitches had something in them. Even most of his overseas runs (like in England in 06) came on some of the flattest pitches ever.

It is 100% true though that older player's records are far less scrutinized for holes that modern players are slayed for.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
I am a fan of 90s openers. Batting top 3 in a bowling era is brutal. Particularly if you have a harsh opposition schedule.

On here, I would think very few agree with my opinion that Kirsten is a similar level to Graeme Smith. Ditto Pujara being a similar level to Sehwag.

Alec Stewart was better than Cook against pace, but Cook's heroics in Asia drag him ahead overall.

Atherton obviously wasn't great, but he was certainly better than Andrew Strauss and deserved a better average than 38. The distribution of attacks he faced over the course of his career was genuinely hellish and his debilitating back condition exaceprated his decline.

Have always been a great lover of Anwar but he definitely gets his plaudits on here and he did have a very short career as already pointed out.

Love Michael's Slater batting highlights reels.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Barrington is slightly overestimated but I think he's still better than Yousuf. Mentioned this yesterday but Colin Cowdrey averaged over sixty in Barrington's overseas tests. Cowdrey won the battle against WI and SA on memory too.

kyear2

International Coach
I am a fan of 90s openers. Batting top 3 in a bowling era is brutal. Particularly if you have a harsh opposition schedule.

On here, I would think very few agree with my opinion that Kirsten is a similar level to Graeme Smith. Ditto Pujara being a similar level to Sehwag.

Alec Stewart was better than Cook against pace, but Cook's heroics in Asia drag him ahead overall.

Atherton obviously wasn't great, but he was certainly better than Andrew Strauss and deserved a better average than 38. The distribution of attacks he faced over the course of his career was genuinely hellish and his debilitating back condition exaceprated his decline.

Have always been a great lover of Anwar but he definitely gets his plaudits on here and he did have a very short career as already pointed out.

Don't think anyone (in these conditions) had it as rough as Atherton. The pace attacks he had to face his entire career was ridiculous

ma1978

International Debutant

Piujara / Sehwag -ha, ridiculous comparison

Kohli / Sehwag is interesting

trundler

Yeah I think everyone's kind of on board with this. Barrington has a much higher average to fall from though.
Well yes, was supposed to be an illustrative example. Barrington being about 10% better than Yousuf is about right too. The Barrington boner is just strange.

shortpitched713

International Captain
lazy is the answer
How can a guy who performed so well at the highest level, just so happen to be not that good, and just a really lucky home track bully / Voges clone, if I'm getting the argument against him right?

Like we kind of have to give him some benefit of the doubt for sheer volume of runs scored, even if, like Bradman in a way, the preponderance of the circumstances were in his favor.

( And he's certainly better than Boycott , a documented fraud, shown contempt by his own teammates.)