• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

International Coach
I know Benaud is there for his ability to hold the Bat. But I would drop him and play Grimmett even for batting disadvantage who imho is around 2 leagues above Benaud as a bowler. Grum was basically obsessed with Spin, probably more than any human ever.
I’m one of the biggest Grimmett fans on here but no I don’t think it helps the team as much. The batting is short as I mentioned so Benaud holds much value there. Whilst Grimmett is notably better in England than Benaud, Benaud posesses something no other SENA spinner does, an ATG record in Asia (especially India). With O’Reilly being untested there, along with the rest of the attack’s performance in England that’s why Benaud is more valuable imo. Alongside his batting ofc.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
I’m one of the biggest Grimmett fans on here but no I don’t think it helps the team as much. The batting is short as I mentioned so Benaud holds much value there. Whilst Grimmett is notably better in England than Benaud, Benaud posesses something no other SENA spinner does, an ATG record in Asia (especially India). With O’Reilly being untested there, along with the rest of the attack’s performance in England that’s why Benaud is more valuable imo. Alongside his batting ofc.
I think sometimes we take record in X,Y country lot far imho. I take it more as something like Marshall not bowling in Zimbabwe, Let’s be honest we all know what would have happened.

Grum and Tiger basically destroyed a lot stronger SA line up, Grum in particular than the India’s line up Benaud bowled to. Only God knows how much better their record would have been had they bowled to that Indian line up. If Benaud is there for batting, fair enough but the difference between Him and Grum as bowler is real big imho.

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
Since this came up in another thread.

Greenidge
Gayle
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Walcott+
Marshall
Garner
Ambrose
Gibbs

Chanders unlucky to miss out (both of them)

Team also clearly has way too high a strike rate, apart from Headley the anchor.

Only ones I really had to think much about were the keeper and second opener. I’m not convinced though that the Windies have had an exceptional keeper that would keep Walcott out, and I don’t recall ever reading that he was poor.

It ended up being between Gayle and Fredericks for me as the second opener - unconvential probably. I really wanted someone with a decent away record. Apart from Viv, all the other bats are massive HTB. Gayle actually has a pretty decent away record (better than home) although he did play in a bat friendly era.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think WI's best technical keeper is considered by some to have been Hendriks, but he was no more than a no.8 with the bat, if not a no.9. Deryck Murray too was well regarded, but also definitely a no.8. I don't think you can go wrong with either of Walcott or Dujon.

kyear2

International Coach
Sir Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte
Sir George Headley
Sir I. V. A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott
Malcom Marshall
Joel Garner
Sir Curtly Ambrose
Lance Gibbs

Clive Lloyd

Coronis

International Coach
Sir Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte
Sir George Headley
Sir I. V. A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott
Malcom Marshall
Joel Garner
Sir Curtly Ambrose
Lance Gibbs

Clive Lloyd
Why don’t you put Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Jack Hobbs, Sir Leonard Hutton, Sir Richard Hadlee etc. when writing your other XI’s? Just curious.

Also you missed Sir Clive Lloyd.

kyear2

International Coach
Why don’t you put Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Jack Hobbs, Sir Leonard Hutton, Sir Richard Hadlee etc. when writing your other XI’s? Just curious.

Also you missed Sir Clive Lloyd.
Firstly, I do. Especially when mentioning the captains, bowing orders and slip fielders.

Either you or someone else pointed out that Hammond wasn't knighted last time

kyear2

International Coach
Prince EWS XI

Sir Leonard Hutton
Herbert Sutcliffe
Walter Hammond ^(6)
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers ^(5)
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan * (3)
Shane Warne ^(4)
Sir Curtly Ambrose (2)
Glenn McGrath (1)

Kyear XI

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman *
Steve Smith ^
Sir I. V. A. Richards ^
Jacques Kallis ^(5)
Alan Knott +
Sir Richard Hadlee (2)
Malcom Marshall (1)
Dale Steyn (3)
Muttiah Muralitharan (4)
Last teams I listed

Coronis

International Coach
Firstly, I do. Especially when mentioning the captains, bowing orders and slip fielders.

Either you or someone else pointed out that Hammond wasn't knighted last time
mb, guess I just haven’t noticed it. Also wtf Hunte is knighted too. They giving them away like candy.