• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

ma1978

International Debutant
What I'm saying is that Pietersen hasn't been badly missed or anything. So English cricket wasn't really 'hurt' by his retirement
he was the best batter in the team when get dismissed and you can have more than one.

a team committed to being the best doesn’t care about egos

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting, for example, could be a bellend on the field with umpires and didn't really endear himself to the cricketing public through his antics - but he's a sound bloke off the field (notwithstanding his early troubles)

Comes across as humble and genuinely decent. I'm sure if he was a complete tosser in the dressing room or directly to teammates he'd have been out - irrespective of the runs he had made

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting, for example, could be a bellend on the field with umpires and didn't really endear himself to the cricketing public through his antics - but he's a sound bloke off the field
Funny how that works, shows how wrong public perception can be. Then you have Broad/Anderson/Swann/Prior gang being toxic bullies as teammates that most of the public wouldn't have had a clue about

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Funny how that works, shows how wrong public perception can be. Then you have Broad/Anderson/Swann/Prior gang being toxic bullies as teammates that most of the public wouldn't have had a clue about
What? You've just totally contradicted yourself there.

How do you come to that conclusion on Broad, Jimmy, Prior and Swann? Were you in the environment....do you know them personally? No it's a perception you've got and it's based on Kevin ****ing Peitersens book ffs

Ftr I totally agree with you on Ponting......I hated him as player and thought he was one of the biggest knobs going. It's totally clear that's not the case when you hear him talk post retirement.

KP on the other hand.......everytime I see and hear him just reinforces my opinion that be was fully responsible for his Eng demise.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I think most people were aware that Swann was a jerk. His public perception wasn't particularly positive.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
this was in fact my point (maybe not well articulated). And yes I blame English cricket for that. That’s poor management; you need to have a setup that says I don’t care who is mates with whom, we care about performance and winning. Pietersen’s performance was never in question.

And that focus of mateness / social cohesion over performance is a broader problem in English society beyond the cricket. Look at the City of London as another example.
OK yeah that was a thing. I think there were a few in that basket, not just KP - I guess the textgate BS and other stuff muddied the water when using KP as an example. Very, very hard environment to break into. I doubt the one nowadays is the same - it looks as if the guys coming in are made much more welcome.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Joe Root - England a better team than Australia man for man despite world cup woes

“Man for man, I’d have this team every day over the Australians,” he said, with an air of confidence that has largely eluded England since they touched down in India."

The holders of the "moral Ashes Trophy"and leaders of the "moral victory world cup" are the gift that keeps on giving. Entertaining as fek in every way. Having already saved test cricket with mediocre results, they have gone the extra mile here and are saving odi cricket as well. At least for people who have less interest in the artless slogathons that odi's have become, the poms have added another interesting dimension to this wc since taking it by storm lol.

Though it might be worth holding off on the idea that "man for man" this team are actually better than the Netherlands, just yet. lol

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Joe Root - England a better team than Australia man for man despite world cup woes

“Man for man, I’d have this team every day over the Australians,” he said, with an air of confidence that has largely eluded England since they touched down in India."

The holders of the "moral Ashes Trophy"and leaders of the "moral victory world cup" are the gift that keeps on giving. Entertaining as fek in every way. Having already saved test cricket with mediocre results, they have gone the extra mile here and are saving odi cricket as well. At least for people who have less interest in the artless slogathons that odi's have become, the poms have added another interesting dimension to this wc since taking it by storm lol.

Though it might be worth holding off on the idea that "man for man" this team are actually better than the Netherlands, just yet. lol
He would want to be careful using phrases like "man for man" in front of Ben Stokes

He doesn't tolerate that kind of lifestyle choice well

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
While England are struggling to crack the top 8, can be proud at least that this thread documenting their failures is tracking to be top 3-4 of the sub-forum. Just another 6 pages to take 3rd I think.

Always a silver lining.

Burgey

I think it was @vic_orthdox who said at the time of KP’s first axing, that you can’t bat with someone you don’t trust. It’s quite simple when you put it in that context.
That's bull**** tbh.

I put on 286 for the third wicket one day with a bloke who'd been in and out of the jug half his life and who stole a mutual team mate's wallet one arvo at the pub. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, but we won the comp that year and the bloke made 90 and took 7 fer in the final.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's bull**** tbh.

I put on 286 for the third wicket one day with a bloke who'd been in and out of the jug half his life and who stole a mutual team mate's wallet one arvo at the pub. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, but we won the comp that year and the bloke made 90 and took 7 fer in the final.
Did you bat with KP as well

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's bull**** tbh.

Many years ago, my uncle opened up the coast on a damp wicket with a bloke who scored huge runs in our area in the 60's/70's. They put on an opening partnership of 60, and my uncle got a duck.