• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #37- India vs South Africa - November 5th - Kolkata

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ha, I thought the scorecard was confusingly conservative. Kohli wanting the milestone century is so much more convincing as an explanation than India’s long tail.
Yeah but we went conservative/slow last game too and honestly, I think both are because we have 4 #11s. We will be lucky to win anything with that tail tbh.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think HB is right that Kohli's role here was defined more by the long tail than trying to ton up. The advantage of having good lower order bats often isn't actually the fact that they make runs but that they can free up the top order more - this is part of why I think SA suck chasing.

But Kohli having a history of quite clearly fudging things for arbitrary milestones when it doesn't matter means he's going to be accused of doing it when it does matter too. Even when he isn't.
He was knocking singles around in the 48th over when in the 90s. It's not even really up for debate that he slowed down for his hundred. Again it likely makes no difference but surely everyone watching it could see this right? And it's not the most egregious example of India doing this, but yes it's a pattern, and one he continued here.

I'd love for it to happen in a key game when the opposition chase down the total with a few balls left and see what people say then, but it's probably not going to come to that is it.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
This is funny that people blaming kohli for that knock. It seems he needed to slog knowing he’d get out on this slower pitch

loterry1994

International Debutant
Lol Kohlis far from a selfish player. A selfish player in the same situation after losing the openers early would come in try whack it around early make a quick 10-20 hole out then expose the rest of the order to the last 35 overs and have them try rebuild the innings again

he took the main responsibility of the innings when Rabada and the spinners came on in the middle overs and the pitch was looking it’s toughest to bat on and didn’t expose the other batters to it earlier

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha I have nothing against Kohli, IMO he's undeniably the greatest ODI player. But can anyone tell me with a straight face that knocking the ball around in the 48th over is trying to get your team the highest score possible in that situation? It just isn't.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Lol Kohlis far from a selfish player. A selfish player in the same situation after losing the openers early would come in try whack it around early make a quick 10-20 hole out then expose the rest of the order to the last 35 overs and have them try rebuild the innings again
That is a definition of a dumb player not selfish.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha I have nothing against Kohli, IMO he's undeniably the greatest ODI player. But can anyone tell me with a straight face that knocking the ball around in the 48th over is trying to get your team the highest score possible in that situation? It just isn't.
I think he should have accelerated more but given our last 4 are #11s, you really cant count anything out. Those 4 cant even get the 1s that a regular batter can.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Exactly!