• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #37- India vs South Africa - November 5th - Kolkata

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think HB is right that Kohli's role here was defined more by the long tail than trying to ton up. The advantage of having good lower order bats often isn't actually the fact that they make runs but that they can free up the top order more - this is part of why I think SA suck chasing.

But Kohli having a history of quite clearly fudging things for arbitrary milestones when it doesn't matter means he's going to be accused of doing it when it does matter too. Even when he isn't.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think HB is right that Kohli's role here was defined more by the long tail than trying to ton up. The advantage of having good lower order bats often isn't actually the fact that they make runs but that they can free up the top order more - this is part of why I think SA suck chasing.

But Kohli having a history of quite clearly fudging things for arbitrary milestones when it doesn't matter means he's going to be accused of doing it when it does matter too. Even when he isn't.
Mate he didn't even go for it in the last 2-3 overs and not even on the last ball of the innings. That has nothing to do with the tail being weak.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Apart from Rabada and Maharaj, SA's bowling was pretty ordinary I thought. Decent effort by Kohli and Iyer. Rohit's cameo at the start is precisely the kind of powerplay batting that this team has needed for a long time.
It also shows that we need to start investing in bowlers who can bat and batsmen who can bowl straight after this WC. We have had this weakness for the last 10 years now and its becoming ****ing stupid.

I would wanna see our new look ODI side to look something like this -

Gill
Jaiswal
Shreyas
Tilak
Rahul (wk)
Hardik
Axar
D Chahar
- (any other seamer who can bat)
Bumrah
Kuldeep

loterry1994

International Debutant
Thought Kohli played a good innings maybe could have accelerated a bit quicker with him and Iyer set. But their batting order from Sky to the tail can be shaky. Think Indias most important batter is Rohit still if he doesn’t get India a quick start then the others are taking a bit more time to get in then India can be in some trouble

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
While this is a very good total and should be enough on this pitch and certainly with India’s attack - they definitely could have gotten about 25 more here.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Gill and Rahul are flying under the radar here. They were the biggest disappointments today.
Gill will play that ball better with experience in the future. #5 is a difficult position and I don't mind a few failures there from Rahul who is cool under pressure. i am happy if he bails us out 6 or 7 out of ten times. Rahul has been great at #5 in ODIs

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha, I thought the scorecard was confusingly conservative. Kohli wanting the milestone century is so much more convincing as an explanation than India’s long tail.