• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bazball was going to be humiliated against India in that one Test in 22
It was going to be exposed away from home in Pakistan
Australia were going to make light work of it with their awesome attack, 5-0 was guaranteed

Do you see the pattern yet Shri?

Reactions: FBU

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To be clear I'm not necessarily saying we will win in India - we didn't win The Ashes, after all. But people keep saying Bazball will be exposed when x. Even if England lose in India, it will expose nothing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be clear I'm not necessarily saying we will win in India - we didn't win The Ashes, after all. But people keep saying Bazball will be exposed when x. Even if England lose in India, it will expose nothing.
Haha yeah I hate the excesses of Bazball but if it can't actually be moderated and refined - which it might not actually be able to - then it's made England a better team either way.

If they get rekt in India then alright, but they were going to get rekt in India anyway.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
pant expected to be back

bazball won't just lose, it will also be humiliated by pant's laugh appeals
Ah, delighted to hear Pant is recovering, man's a legend.

Although if he returns against us that could be sad news for Jack Leach.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Firstly, I hate the term Bazball.

Under Stokes and McCullum we've been very good, remarkably so, given our starting point.

Do I expect us to win in India, absolutely not, but that won't be due to our approach, it's because at home, India are unbelievably tough to beat.

Not only have results improved significantly under McCullum but so to did public interest in The Ashes, as the BBC online/social media/TMS figures showed.

Under McCullum and Stokes we've played a type of cricket that has been successful and has engaged the public - that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Stokes was always going to have surgery though wasn't he? They must have known the rehab time was short enough for him to play in the wc and then in India for the tests.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Haha yeah I hate the excesses of Bazball but if it can't actually be moderated and refined - which it might not actually be able to - then it's made England a better team either way.

If they get rekt in India then alright, but they were going to get rekt in India anyway.
I thought that England played a little more smart after Lord's where they kept hooking, even though Aussies put nearly all their men on the boundary. Although it happened earlier in the series too, England batters learnt that you could play tip and run and often get a run a ball without chancing your arm with the hook. At the Oval a run a ball over consisting entirely of singles happened at least twice to my recollection. They needed to change after that idiotic first innings at Lord's and they did do and still generally kept a good run rate per innings. 4.51 and 5.08 at Headingley, 5.49 at Old Trafford, 5.17 and 4.82 at the Oval.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Even within the arbitrary definition of "Bazball", everytime England have married some sensibility and game sense into their style of play, they have been largely successful. The times they have bought their own hype and took it too far have been the times they have failed.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
The times they have bought their own hype and took it too far have been the times they have failed.
TBF, I think those first two Ashes Tests were the only times they really went off the rails. Pakistan away was maybe the most ridiculously Bazball-y Bazball series of the lot and that was a massive success.