• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Find a better bowler peak (min 33 Tests) than this (protip, you can't)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny because I've never seen any one bash Australian cricketers and anything Australian and intentionally under-rate them like Zinzan, it's quite perplexing.

Probably about 75% of your posts
Lol you're such an obvious troll, and to be fair on you, a self admitted one.

thierry henry

International Coach
Full concept shown below. I can math out an example too, but it should be pretty intuitive:
That's a useful analysis in terms of "what style of bowling is most useful in a certain scenario", but it doesn't pull me very strongly in any particular direction in terms of assessing what sort of bowler is better overall. I suppose you could say that e.g. an economical spearhead in a weak attack is really just stat padding because his approach isn't ideal for his team. But couldn't you equally say that his style would be ideal in a stronger attack and he was let down by his teammates?

Taking a relatively economical bowler like McGrath for example, do we say "his style would have been less optimal in a weaker attack" or "he cleverly decided to bowl just the right style for a strong attack"? Feels like 6 vs a 1/2 doz innit.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fr though, if you think pointing out that Murali feasted on minnows more than most bowlers, which is an objective fact, is "bashing" him, you're either ignorant of the facts or just trying to be needlessly inflammatory
Murali feasted on minnows but it was hardly just minnows he feasted on.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm generalising here, but no other cricketing fans seem to in unison bash Murali and intentionally under-rate him like Australia fans, it's quite perplexing. Seems to be generally well respected & regarded as a champion elsewhere.
Its not all of them, just the idiotic insecure and/or racist ones.

shortpitched713

International Captain
That's a useful analysis in terms of "what style of bowling is most useful in a certain scenario", but it doesn't pull me very strongly in any particular direction in terms of assessing what sort of bowler is better overall. I suppose you could say that e.g. an economical spearhead in a weak attack is really just stat padding because his approach isn't ideal for his team. But couldn't you equally say that his style would be ideal in a stronger attack and he was let down by his teammates?

Taking a relatively economical bowler like McGrath for example, do we say "his style would have been less optimal in a weaker attack" or "he cleverly decided to bowl just the right style for a strong attack"? Feels like 6 vs a 1/2 doz innit.
It's not a style thing per se. McGrath's average was so low, that he's better as a spearhead than 99% of bowlers in Test history, even if he doesn't possess the absolute lowest strike rate. But at the fringes it can be a useful tool to separate between otherwise equally good averaging bowlers, in similar quality attacks. And generally, we're only talking about the very best bowlers anyway, so a lower SR can never really be "bad", can it?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
At the risk of being a raw averages dullard, I just can't get behind the whole focus on strike rates thing. Fundamentally cricket is a score more runs/concede less runs game. As a bowler your job is to take the most wickets while conceding the least runs. If anything, being a good bowler usually goes hand-in-hand with being hard to score off, which lends itself to a comparatively poor strike-rate and good economy rate when compared to average. There is nothing intuitively right-feeling to me about applauding someone more for getting to the same place faster, and certainly not for getting to a worse place faster (i.e. getting wickets faster but conceding MORE runs).
If only runs weren't relative in a given game based on what the opponents have scored, right?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not sure how this relates to my post?
I meant averages also dont give a proper picture given its relative to the scores being made each game. Basically, almost all cricket numbers are driven by context and the stats almost never capture the context. So beyond pretty general conclusions, its hard to go by only one stat, whatever that maybe.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's not a style thing per se. McGrath's average was so low, that he's better as a spearhead than 99% of bowlers in Test history, even if he doesn't possess the absolute lowest strike rate. But at the fringes it can be a useful tool to separate between otherwise equally good averaging bowlers, in similar quality attacks. And generally, we're only talking about the very best bowlers anyway, so a lower SR can never really be "bad", can it?
I'm not sure I follow. Isn't the theory/logic that where a bowler is much better than his teammates, it's better if he is "good SR/bad ER" and takes his wickets faster. Why are we then saying this is an absolute positive without reference to the attack he is in? Or are you saying that because elite bowlers are invariably better than their teammates, it is therefore invariably preferable for elite bowlers to be good SR/bad ER? I guess that makes sense.

thierry henry

International Coach
I meant averages also dont give a proper picture given its relative to the scores being made each game. Basically, almost all cricket numbers are driven by context and the stats almost never capture the context. So beyond pretty general conclusions, its hard to go by only one stat, whatever that maybe.
Well yes but that's just a truism, in explanation of a snarky comment, when neither post rebutted anything I said?

Anyway sorry I said anything I'm not going down this rabbit hole

OverratedSanity

I'm generalising here, but no other cricketing fans seem to in unison bash Murali and intentionally under-rate him like Australia fans, it's quite perplexing. Seems to be generally well respected & regarded as a champion elsewhere.
It's not that baffling honestly. Australian fans give him more of a hard time because he's looked at as Warne's main competitor and rival. Of course, there are people from other countries who've raised doubts about his action, but its not a coincidence at all that the loudest voices (even here on CW) come from Aussie fans.

TheJediBrah

This all goes without saying