• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Groundking

International Debutant
The root of the problems is that practice makes perfect and since 2019 we've not had that much practice. This is made worse by the fact that the leadership (Buttler & Mott) aren't up to snuff and a significant downgrade from the prior regime.

Another consequence of not having enough practice is that it's harder to definitively conclude who is and who isn't good enough anymore whilst those with credit in the bank (Moeen) end up lasting longer than they should due to fewer games to burn the credit.

Last edited:

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
I'd love the Peter Moore's approach than the just give up approach we've had this world cup.

As much as Mark Wood is the last person to blame for our batting performance today. We had 17 overs left with Willey who has a hundred off 40 balls in white ball cricket.

Why throw your wicket away like that they could have just knocked it around for a while and had a go later on.
Exactly. And choose the batters who have done it at test level. Nobody can tell me that Crawley , Duckett, Root, Brook, Bairstow, Stokes would not have been a better top 6 than the one we played today. And that would be 3 batters under 30 instead of the Dad’s army team with not 1 single player under 30. England averaged 5.33 runs Per over during the Ashes series. That‘s not terrible in one day cricket.
Or play Malan at 3 with just 4 bowlers- Woakes, Robinson, Rashid, Topley

So why the unnecessary changes from the Bazball Ashes team ?

Last edited:

loterry1994

International Debutant
The root of the problems is that practice makes perfect and since 2019 we've not had that much practice. This is made worse by the fact that the leadership (Buttler & Mott) aren't up to snuff and a significant downgrade from the prior regime.

Another consequence of not having enough practice is that it's harder to definitively conclude who and who isn't good enough anymore whilst those with credit in the bank (Moeen) end up lasting longer than they should due to fewer games to burn the credit.
this is probably the best point anyone’s made on England all day

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly. And choose the batters who have done it at test level. Nobody can tell me that Crawley , Duckworth, Root, Brook, Bairstow, Stokes would not have been a better top 6 than the one we played today. And that would be 3 batters under 30 instead of the Dad’s army team with not 1 single player under 30. England averaged 5.33 runs Per over during the Ashes series. That‘s not terrible in one day cricket.
Or play Malan at 3 with just 4 bowlers- Woakes, Robinson, Rashid, Topley
Theoretically, each bowler is limited to 10 overs in these games. Although that's largely been irrelevant for England in this WC.
Unless you're relying on Root to send down 10 overs, which I'd prefer not to see.

I can't disagree with your first point though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’ve just hit on the actual problem.

Since the World Cup moved to coloured clothing, we’ve worn light/sky blue twice, and darker shades of blue, sometimes mixed with red, on all other occasions.

We make 100% of finals in the sky blue efforts, with one of them victorious (and if any of you bores @ me with your always boring nonsense about being awarded the cup then you will die alone) and invariably disappoint in the darker blue.

Light blue in 2027 plz

Ali TT

International Regular
I’ve just hit on the actual problem.

Since the World Cup moved to coloured clothing, we’ve worn light/sky blue twice, and darker shades of blue, sometimes mixed with red, on all other occasions.

We make 100% of finals in the sky blue efforts, with one of them victorious (and if any of you bores @ me with your always boring nonsense about being awarded the cup then you will die alone) and invariably disappoint in the darker blue.

Light blue in 2027 plz
Like when we rocked up in grey bollocks against the Germans at Euro 96 :censored:

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
Theoretically, each bowler is limited to 10 overs in these games. Although that's largely been irrelevant for England in this WC.
Unless you're relying on Root to send down 10 overs, which I'd prefer not to see.

I can't disagree with your first point though.
Yes, that‘s one option. Otherwise leave out Malan .
Anyway it’s fairly academic since Crawley , Duckett and Robinson are mistakenly not there and I asume Stokes will not play any more white ball.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway it’s fairly academic since Crawley , Duckworth and Robinson are mistakenly not there and I asume Stokes will not play any more white ball.
What has Robinson done to show white ball credentials?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway it’s fairly academic since Crawley , Duckworth and Robinson are mistakenly not there and I asume Stokes will not play any more white ball.
Do you mean Duckett or is this some other club-standard county player