• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Niall

International Coach
To be fair, Josh Little bowled 5 overs for 69 in one of those and 10 overs for 82 in another. He's not your average Irish trundler.
He had a poor summer for Ireland and was a mess in the world cup qualifiers, don't think he did much last summer either for Ireland.

Very odd cricketer, awesome in the IPL and clearly a talent but much streakier than you would expect international level.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah smacking around some abysmal Ireland trundlers doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.
I’m not suggesting it does but given the form of some of the first XI, some of the second string would probably have done better.

Im not saying we should have brought that squad but rather to highlight how much a lot of these players have underperformed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The batting may have been comparable to what we've seen here. But I think the bowling would have been even worse.
It’s definitely the area of concern. I like what I’ve seen of Atkinson, and Rehan. Beyond that, hmm.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s definitely the area of concern. I like what I’ve seen of Atkinson, and Rehan. Beyond that, hmm.
I mean, if Scrimshaw's nerves couldn't handle a non-tournament match against Ireland, I dread to think how he'd have gone here.
Potts is a decent bowler, but perhaps not quite as good as Woakes ....

Molehill

International Captain
I mean, if Scrimshaw's nerves couldn't handle a non-tournament match against Ireland, I dread to think how he'd have gone here.
Potts is a decent bowler, but perhaps not quite as good as Woakes ....
Potts only turns 25 this week, so plenty of time to develop further. I like the way his career is going, plenty of CC can only be a good thing.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Potts only turns 25 this week, so plenty of time to develop further. I like the way his career is going, plenty of CC can only be a good thing.
Sure, but I was responding to whether he'd have done better than the guys who did play here.

Molehill

International Captain
Sure, but I was responding to whether he'd have done better than the buys who did play here.
I don't think it could've been any worse. The seamers have 19 wickets between them from 5 matches.........8 of those came from Topley who basically only played 2 and a half.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it could've been any worse. The seamers have 19 wickets between them from 5 matches.........8 of those came from Topley who basically only played 2 and a half.
Maybe, but we're guessing. I was only suggesting that conditions wouldn't have suited Potts any more than they have suited Woakes. Similar pace and skill-set aren't they? I guess we'll probably get more of a clue in the ODIs in the WI in a few months time. Most of this squad's FM bowlers seem unlikely to be included.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe, but we're guessing. I was only suggesting that conditions wouldn't have suited Potts any more than they have suited Woakes. Similar pace and skill-set aren't they? I guess we'll probably get more of a clue in the ODIs in the WI in a few months time. Most of this squad's FM bowlers seem unlikely to be included.
I don’t think conditions have been the problem with Woakes. He’s just not landed his line and length at all.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think selection has to be looked at and analysed to see why their performance has been so bad

Example, why is Chris Woakes in this squad? England PR team can say what they like, but no one can seriously suggest he's in the best XV for a tournament in India? His selection is just nonsensical in all honesty

You'd be much better taking a generic county spinner like a Moriarty or Carson for example - or a talent like Rehan Ahmed. If you're not going to select Liam Dawson here, then why is he often in and around in the squads in unfavourable conditions? He could have been a genuine asset Completely muddled thinking and emblematic of their downfall.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Potts has surely got a few kph on Woakes? Looks like he hits the deck hard and could extract something from benign conditions. Woakes just looks so meh. Baffled at his selection

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I do think selection has to be looked at and analysed to see why their performance has been so bad

Example, why is Chris Woakes in this squad? England PR team can say what they like, but no one can seriously suggest he's in the best XV for a tournament in India? His selection is just nonsensical in all honesty

You'd be much better taking a generic county spinner like a Moriarty or Carson for example - or a talent like Rehan Ahmed. If you're not going to select Liam Dawson here, then why is he often in and around in the squads in unfavourable conditions? He could have been a genuine asset Completely muddled thinking and emblematic of their downfall.
Woakes is in this squad because he’s been a key part of our successful white ball sides for close to a decade.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Woakes is in this squad because he’s been a key part of our successful white ball sides for close to a decade.
But he's awful in the subcontinent, let's be frank. I think if the WC is in England or NZ for example, then absolutely he should be in the XI and is a legitimately good new ball bowler and has decent skills at the back end

Otherwise nah. His bowling is powder puff on slow, low pitches with no sideways movement

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But he's awful in the subcontinent, let's be frank. I think if the WC is in England or NZ for example, then absolutely he should be in the XI and is a legitimately good new ball bowler and has decent skills at the back end

Otherwise nah. His bowling is powder puff on slow, low pitches with no sideways movement
Averages 31.7 in Asia, granted the UAE is doing some work there and his record in India itself isn’t hot but the idea he’s awful in the subcontinent doesn’t actually stack up with a white ball. His T20 record is also good in Asia.