• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys maybe overthinking this. Maybe them giving a 3 year deal to Wood is a way to ensure Wood does not go off into the T20 leagues. Its a way for them to show how important he is to the team and they will take up all injury and health stuff on themselves. Its an investment, I think.

Molehill

International Captain
You guys maybe overthinking this. Maybe them giving a 3 year deal to Wood is a way to ensure Wood does not go off into the T20 leagues. Its a way for them to show how important he is to the team and they will take up all injury and health stuff on themselves. Its an investment, I think.
Wood's not exactly been a big draw for the T20 Leagues anyway.....and his performances here are not going to help either.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes they did.
Aussie spin attack looked poor and a lot of sameness in the seamers.
NZ were going to bat Ravindra at 7 and big questions over Ferguson.
There was a lot of uncertainty over the Saffas, and Pakistan are always a bit flaky.
Uh, partially agree. But anyone can see that SA have been playing some incredible cricket the last few months, so I don't see the "uncertainty" there. Gun top 6 and some great variety in the bowling department

FBU

International Debutant
Wood's not exactly been a big draw for the T20 Leagues anyway.....and his performances here are not going to help either.
If he plays in all 3 formats I can't see Wood able to last 3 years.
This year played 3 Tests 6 ODIs 1 T20 - 132.4 overs

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Malan
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone
Woakes
Rashid
Atkinson
Wood

I think this is how I’d go tomorrow. Just pray Woakes can find his line again.

It’s light on bowling but the only way forwards for us is play to our strengths which is the batting, and hope that they can click into form again.

Molehill

International Captain
Malan
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone
Woakes
Rashid
Atkinson
Wood

I think this is how I’d go tomorrow. Just pray Woakes can find his line again.

It’s light on bowling but the only way forwards for us is play to our strengths which is the batting, and hope that they can click into form again.
Bowling is our weakness, we need 6 decent options. Either Brook or Stokes has to go and you bring in one of Willey/Curran/Moeen depending on the pitch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bowling is our weakness, we need 6 decent options. Either Brook or Stokes has to go and you bring in one of Willey/Curran/Moeen depending on the pitch.
Throwing more bowlers won’t strengthen it. Having Willey at 7 can never be repeated.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The issue wasn't our batting on Saturday, it was conceding 400. Root can never again be the 6th bowler.
Fair to a degree, but we scored 170.

Root as sixth bowler is not any more of a liability than Curran at this point and frankly his off spin v Moeen is not a huge step in quality.

We’re only going to win by batting teams out of games.

Molehill

International Captain
Fair to a degree, but we scored 170.

Root as sixth bowler is not any more of a liability than Curran at this point and frankly his off spin v Moeen is not a huge step in quality.

We’re only going to win by batting teams out of games.
We scored 170 because we played stupid shots trying to chase 400.

Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes/Brook, Buttler, Livingstone, Curran, Willey/Woakes, Wood, Atkinson, Rashid

There's an argument to open with Brook and drop Bairstow too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry but there is zero argument for Brook to open ahead of Bairstow. Brook has never scored runs opening in an ODI and there’s only 30 runs difference between them in the tournament.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
I'm with GIMH on this one. Our batting has been shocking so far too. Not sure adding Curran as a sixth bowler helps given how off the boil his bowling has been so far, might as well try and do at least one discipline well and pick our best batters.

So I'd go with GIMH's team set up. Hurts me to say, but I'd probably have Willey instead of Woakes though given how out of sorts Woakes has looked.

Molehill

International Captain
Well I'm going to disagree. If you're packing one skill to make up for the deficiencies in another then it's never going to end well. We should pick a balanced side and back the players who were selected for their roles to perform better than they have so far.

Groundking

International Debutant
The issue wasn't our batting on Saturday, it was conceding 400. Root can never again be the 6th bowler.
Maybe we wouldn't have conceded 400 if we hadn't thought it was a good idea to bowl first in heat hotter than the fires of hell with only one frontline spin bowler, a part timer and 4 seam bowlers....