• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like that side with Root and Brook being the additional bowlers if needed. I probably still think Moeen is the better bowler but you probably need the better batsman at #7. This also ensures there is some amount of tail end batting if required.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Brook is not a serious bowling option

Root absolutely could do a job in these conditions. Maybe as good as Moeen

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Surely Brook is not a serious bowling option

Root absolutely could do a job in these conditions. Maybe as good as Moeen
Brook is absolutely not a bowling option.

I know we're in trouble but if Harry Brook's bowling is the answer, then things are even worse than I thought.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The biggest problem other than the bowling being shocking is Bairstow and Buttler have been useless and hardly scored a run and they are players we rely on. Bin the coach, employ Morgan, sack Buttler and start again.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes they did.
Aussie spin attack looked poor and a lot of sameness in the seamers.
NZ were going to bat Ravindra at 7 and big questions over Ferguson.
There was a lot of uncertainty over the Saffas, and Pakistan are always a bit flaky.
Williamson's injury has been a blessing in disguise.

loterry1994

International Debutant

This is a pretty good analysis of what is going wrong for England, I reckon. Feels incredibly lame that England built their egos and air of superiority around the 2019 triumph, then turned up 4 years later vastly underdone.
I said it earlier already England haven’t taken the build up of this World Cup nearly as serious as 2019. The 2019 side was a desperate England and board that pushed odi cricket for England and a lot of those players coming in had played together a lot in bilateral odi and t20 series and were very well built before the World Cup

The 2023 you had a lot of their key players resting between series and they haven’t brought in many new young guys that had played much together in odis and this England team thinking they can just win on reputation

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The other point in the article is that none of the better players actually play in our domestic 50 over competition as it takes place at the same time as The Hundred. The bigger picture means that resting guys like Root and Stokes does make a lot of sense, but there's a whole generation coming through who just don't play in this format at all.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah and those points you both make, about England not having guys playing in the format and not taking it seriously, is such an indictment. And not on the format, on them. Rightly were proud about the achievement in 2019, we are the limited overs kings, we set the standard for attacking cricket, then turn up half-****ed for the defense.

I guess we have to hope for the future they go through a nostalgic period where they try and save 50-over cricket like they did Test cricket, and don't mind losing to shape the hearts and minds of the world.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was a conversation here a few weeks ago when some of the English CWers were discussing changes in the domestic game. The key point was that the cohort who took us to number 1 in the 50 over game all grew up playing the 40 over version of the domestic cup; which makes sense, if you view it as a slightly more aggressive version of 50 over matches. The ECB's obsession with The Hundred makes it impossible to see how the 50 over game can be taken seriously again which, for me, is a shame. Maybe playing the Blast and The Hundred will continue to benefit the national side's fortunes in T20 though.

Molehill

International Captain
The other point in the article is that none of the better players actually play in our domestic 50 over competition as it takes place at the same time as The Hundred. The bigger picture means that resting guys like Root and Stokes does make a lot of sense, but there's a whole generation coming through who just don't play in this format at all.
I had assumed that someone like SKY was struggling to turn his T20 form into 50 overs because he just never played much either - then you look at his record and he's got 140 List A games under his belt. So it's not like Indian youngsters don't get opportunities.

There was a conversation here a few weeks ago when some of the English CWers were discussing changes in the domestic game. The key point was that the cohort who took us to number 1 in the 50 over game all grew up playing the 40 over version of the domestic cup; which makes sense, if you view it as a slightly more aggressive version of 50 over matches. The ECB's obsession with The Hundred makes it impossible to see how the 50 over game can be taken seriously again which, for me, is a shame. Maybe playing the Blast and The Hundred will continue to benefit the national side's fortunes in T20 though.
Not guaranteed - The IPL hasn't seemingly aided the National team's fortunes, and ironic that they now seem the dominant 50 over team.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I had assumed that someone like SKY was struggling to turn his T20 form into 50 overs because he just never played much either - then you look at his record and he's got 140 List A games under his belt. So it's not like Indian youngsters don't get opportunities.

Not guaranteed - The IPL hasn't seemingly aided the National team's fortunes, and ironic that they now seem the dominant 50 over team.
I think Sky can still be a good odi player they really don’t know what his role is though in odis . I think if his in the side they need to push him up the order and let him play his natural game and score a quick 50 in the middle overs to change the momentum of the game. They have him to low down the order I’ve never seen him as much of just a finisher his not that guy to play a patient innings also.

These t20 leagues do help a bit for countries but it’s just very hard to be dominate in t20s you can come into a World Cup being 1 of the top 4 sides that are favourites to win it. But one poor powerplay or losing early wickets in a big game and your tournament could be over. It’s hard to prevent it from happening every game that’s why no teams ever defended a t20 World Cup

kevinw

International 12th Man
The biggest problem other than the bowling being shocking is Bairstow and Buttler have been useless and hardly scored a run and they are players we rely on. Bin the coach, employ Morgan, sack Buttler and start again.
It's OK, Bairstow's whining about his brain-fade in the Ashes again.