• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
can I get a hell, no! geographical proximity to equate to a monopoly is not right, besides which playing in that region favours spin too heavily

I was going to say about time saffers hosted, and when I looked to see it appears they are next up, ridiculously BCCI have got the one after that so could well have been hosts or joint in 2011, 2023 and 2031, more than their fair share and no doubt due to their fans - yet many report the grounds aren't full by any stretch most games.

I'd suggest almost the opposite, India and IPL are too dominant, hosting in Oz, England and South Africa for example may return more attendance and money than you might think, although only the accountants will know for sure - plenty of those across the internet mind, non legit
You are solely looking at ODI World Cups, meanwhile I am looking at all the World Cups, including T20 World Cups.

England just hosted the ODI WC in 2019
Australia just hosted the T20 World Cup 2022
Australia-NZ will host T20 WC in 2028
England will host the T20 WC in 2030

India hosting the ODI WC 2023
India-Sri Lanka will host T20 World Cup 2026
India-Bangladesh will host ODI WC in 2031

India is hosting 2 of them as co-host. I don't see how the distribution is as uneven as you may think. SENA countries are choosing to host T20 WCs over ODI WCs since they are far more lucrative for them (also far less costly to host) meanwhile India still makes a ton via ODIs so they are okay to host the expensive drawn-out ODI WCs along with neighbouring countries -who cannot manage to host own their own and are due to host one.

ODIs are semi-dead in most countries barring the subcontinent so thats why the ODI WCs and even 2025 Champions Trophy (Pakistan) are being held there. By the time 2031 WC arrives, ODIs could be deep under water. So it totally made sense to let the big fish co-host it. Format may not even survive after that. Which country would have wanted to host it over a T20 World Cup in the next 5-10 years? Hardly any. Both Australia and England are hosting T20 WCs in 2028 and 2030. That explains where the priorities lie.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
By 2031, ODI WC may be seen as a 2nd-rate Cup with T20Is also kicking off at Olympics from 2028.

T20 Olympic Gold Medal vs T20 World Cup vs ODI World Cup

Next T20 World Cup in 2024 will have 20 nations. And down the line there could be 24-32 nations. It'll truly be the main 'Cricket World Cup' in less than a decade no doubt about it. A number of associates have improved significantly in the shortest form.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People won't care about the Olympics at all in the UK. Guess it will probably be different in India.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
By 2031, ODI WC may be seen as a 2nd-rate Cup with T20Is also kicking off at Olympics from 2028.

T20 Olympic Gold Medal vs T20 World Cup vs ODI World Cup

Next T20 World Cup in 2024 will have 20 nations. And down the line there could be 24-32 nations. It'll truly be the main 'Cricket World Cup' in less than a decade no doubt about it. A number of associates have improved significantly in the shortest form.
They're not even going to send full strength teams. This is nonsense.

Sunil1z

International Regular
They're not even going to send full strength teams. This is nonsense.
For Olympics , many Asian countries may send their best team . For Pak, Ban , Afghanistan and SL , Cricket might be the best bet to secure Olympics medal
Similarly for India , Olympics might be the best bet to secure Gold medal

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For Olympics , many Asian countries may send their best team . For Pak, Ban , Afghanistan and SL , Cricket might be the best bet to secure Olympics medal
Similarly for India , Olympics might be the best bet to secure Gold medal
1. There will probably only be 1-2 teams from Asia even allowed to play.
2. Those teams also have some of the highest cricket saturation.

Tom Flint

International Regular
People won't care about the Olympics at all in the UK. Guess it will probably be different in India.
I'm not sure about this. Maybe normal cricket fans won't watch but in the Olympics everyone becomes die hard fans of random sports they have no interest in. People staying up all night watching archery ect.

Molehill

International Captain
I'm not sure about this. Maybe normal cricket fans won't watch but in the Olympics everyone becomes die hard fans of random sports they have no interest in. People staying up all night watching archery ect.
Good point, not had my Curling fix in ages - man I love Curling!!

But I agree with Pothas, there will be little interest in Cricket at the Olympics. It's like Golf or Tennis, we just won't be watching it (and I suspect there won't be a lot of TV Coverage either).

Tom Flint

International Regular
It's a bit like the football. Not a lot of interest from regular season ticket holders at clubs but outside the athletics in 2012 it probably sold the most tickets and gave a lot of countries their best opportunity of getting close to medals.

Molehill

International Captain
It's a bit like the football. Not a lot of interest from regular season ticket holders at clubs but outside the athletics in 2012 it probably sold the most tickets and gave a lot of countries their best opportunity of getting close to medals.
I've always kind of been of the opinion that if the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of your sport, then it probably shouldn't be there. I'd sooner watch a Triathlon than Olympics Cricket.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I actually had tickets for a random game at the London Olympics for football but I didn't even go. In the end I had gone to the rowing at Windsor, the triathlon in Hyde Park and Super Saturday. I would go to a random t20 at the Olympics but it would probably be for the same reason that I went to the Hundred (boo hiss!) a couple of times. Easy access to a ticket that cost me next to nothing.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket at Olympics will be HUGE deal for a country like India which wins only a few medals at the olympics. They are the ones who have pushed so hard for it this time around.

I am certain India will send a full strength team. So will Pakistan if they qualify along with India. And other teams may follow suit. 1 or 2 may not if they have a clash with something... but at least 4/6 will imo.

By 2032 Brisbane Olympics, I am sure they will increase to 8 teams and Australia will play full strength and so will almost all the rest.