• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I admire your optimism, but at what point do you become worried? When they mathematically can't qualify?
I’m worried about the team as a whole, because of the bowling. Just not Jos Buttler’s batting form, or the top order in general.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I always liked Woakes in ODIs but the jury was out on Plunkett and Wood for a fair while there and then they showed up and performed properly. Archer entering the side added some real steel to the attack too.

They weren't the best attack on paper but there's no real shame in that. 2019 had some monstrous attacks.

The only thing you said that worries me is you're not confident we'll ever have another ODI World Cup :(
Hopefully I’m wrong on that front, it just seems to be what every decent cricket podcaster suspects at the minute (or that the next may be the last)

Yeoman

U19 Captain
I understood that the TV rights were sold up until 2031 so there should be life in it yet. The ICC can’t even bring themselves to kill off the Champions Trophy.

Molehill

International Captain
I understood that the TV rights were sold up until 2031 so there should be life in it yet. The ICC can’t even bring themselves to kill off the Champions Trophy.
Although the fact the 2031 World Cup is once again in India let's you know who's pulling the strings.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf there have been 5 held in England. This will only be the 4th in India, 3 of which will have been co-hosted (granted 99 was co-hosted but to a lesser degree)

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Co hosting across Asia seems a reasonable way to go in the future given the limited interest in non-India matches this time round.

Molehill

International Captain
Tbf there have been 5 held in England. This will only be the 4th in India, 3 of which will have been co-hosted (granted 99 was co-hosted but to a lesser degree)
Hmm, 3 of England's were before they started sharing it around. From 2011-2031, India will host 50% of the World Cups. And given how hosts seem to currently dominate, it's doing them a tidy favour.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, 3 of England's were before they started sharing it around. From 2011-2031, India will host 50% of the World Cups. And given how hosts seem to currently dominate, it's doing them a tidy favour.
I don’t disagree, just don’t feel well placed to be the one to complain about it.

Should just be a standard rotation I’d have thought.

England/Aus-NZ/Subcontinent/South Africa & Zimbabwe/Windies

England’s could be hosted in conjunction with Scotland, Netherlands, Ireland (like 99)

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Money talks etc. But if we look it at it from a serious perspective.

Sri Lanka and Bangladesh can't host on their own i'd have thought so need to partner up with India. Pakistan aren't allowed to host because of their political crap with India.

Windies don't have the money anymore hence the link up with USA for the T20. But the money probably from the US isn't enough to host a proper World Cup.

South Africa and co have it for 2027

AUS/NZ have 2028 T20 and UK/Ireland 2030. So I'm not sure where else they could have held it.

Based on this world cup ticket sales aren't going to be as good as T20 world cup anyway. Perhaps somewhat of a poisoned chalice for anyone to host by 2031. BCCI got the money to take the hit if it does.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Windies can host imo. The wicb don't have the money but the islands governments can pay and they will more than make it back on tourists

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
There are 5 subcontinental nations playing at this World Cup. That's 50%.

5/12 full members.
> 40%

So almost every 2nd world cup should be held in Asia. And money reigns supreme. ODI format is on a rapid decline and only way to keep it afloat is by having more of the ODI WCs in the subcontinent/India.

Owzat

U19 Captain
There are 5 subcontinental nations playing at this World Cup. That's 50%.

5/12 full members.
> 40%

So almost every 2nd world cup should be held in Asia. And money reigns supreme. ODI format is on a rapid decline and only way to keep it afloat is by having more of the ODI WCs in the subcontinent/India.
can I get a hell, no! geographical proximity to equate to a monopoly is not right, besides which playing in that region favours spin too heavily

I was going to say about time saffers hosted, and when I looked to see it appears they are next up, ridiculously BCCI have got the one after that so could well have been hosts or joint in 2011, 2023 and 2031, more than their fair share and no doubt due to their fans - yet many report the grounds aren't full by any stretch most games.

I'd suggest almost the opposite, India and IPL are too dominant, hosting in Oz, England and South Africa for example may return more attendance and money than you might think, although only the accountants will know for sure - plenty of those across the internet mind, non legit

loterry1994

International Debutant
Lot of talk here about taking out bilateral series for t20s or odis. I’m all for the taking out t20 series like I said before. Then I thought about it would actually be hard for cricketers to have an international career if they took out one or both of these formats out of the game internationally. plus you can just shut off the history books of all the top run scorers and wicket takers and not give other players the chance to break or match them.

Maybe the best way is to join up t20 and odi series together for example like 5 Match series with 3 odis and 2 t20s similar how they do it in a womens ashes and have them all count together for the result of a series

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taking out T20 series and keeping ODIs would be the preferable choice from a cricketing stand point

But it's so much less financially viable that the opposite is 10000% more likely to happen