• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's no doubt they won the title, in the sense it was gifted to them on a technicality after a tied game. It's just they've never won a WC final.

FBU

International Debutant
Any changes for the next match. Sure that Stokes will be back. Has Livingstone replaced Moeen?
Bairstow Malan Root Stokes Brook Buttler Livingstone Woakes Wood Rashid Topley.

Will they drop their death bowler Curran? Topley and Wood had to bowl the death overs. They won't drop Woakes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Any changes for the next match. Sure that Stokes will be back. Has Livingstone replaced Moeen?

Will they drop their death bowler Curran? Topley and Wood had to bowl the death overs. They won't drop Woakes.
This is the team I landed on when thinking about it deeply while walking the dog yesterday evening. But it's massively risky because you need 10 from Livingstone and Root - more if Woakes goes as badly again,

Willey for Woakes works I guess?

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator

I think I may have gone on record before as a Woakes fan, but even I think he needs benching unless they have reason to believe he suddenly won't bowl like he has the past three games. Curran should be benched too.

If Stokes is back then I think I'd go:
Bairstow Malan Root Stokes Brook Buttler Livingstone Willey Wood Rashid Topley.

If they think it'll spin again then Mo could come back in for Brook, though that'd be harsh after he was the only batter fighting in the last game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think I may have gone on record before as a Woakes fan, but even I think he needs benching unless they have reason to believe he suddenly won't bowl like he has the past three games. Curran should be benched too.

If Stokes is back then I think I'd go:
Bairstow Malan Root Stokes Brook Buttler Livingstone Willey Wood Rashid Topley.

If they think it'll spin again then Mo could come back in for Brook, though that'd be harsh after he was the only batter fighting in the last game.
Mo instead of Willey imo.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
you can't blame the selectors for not knowing woakes is an absolute carthorse outside of england. truly unforeseen circumstances.

Molehill

International Captain
There's a lot of blame on the bowlers, but they only conceded 11 more than India did. Seems to me it was the batsmen that failed badly, when will Bairstow and Buttler turn up to this World Cup?

Tom Flint

International Regular
Woakes and Curran obviously deserve to be carrying the drinks, but if Willey replaces do they back him to bowl 10? They always been concerned he is only effective up front.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's a lot of blame on the bowlers, but they only conceded 11 more than India did. Seems to me it was the batsmen that failed badly, when will Bairstow and Buttler turn up to this World Cup?
Bairstow got us off to a flier V Bangas tbf. Hard to say he didn't do his job as an attacking opener there.

Jos got a start against NZ too.

I think for yesterday it was both. We should have been chasing a lower target. But with our line-up it's not unreasonable to chase 280-odd - against anyone in the tournament.

For balance though, it didn't really feel like any of the top order threw their wickets away.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think issue is the lack of a MO batsman option.

Bairstow
Malan
Root
Brook
Buttler (c) (wk)
Livingstone
Moeen
Rashid
Wood
that other right arm seamer
Topley

this should work.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mark Butcher said he’d pick the same team I’ve been leaning towards on the wisden podcast (NB he didn’t actually acknowledge it as the same as mine, which I thought rude). Which is

Bairstow
Malan
Root
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone
Rashid
Wood
Atkinson
Topley

He then said his predicted team is the above except Woakes in for Atkinson

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
he is not fit yet, right?
He’s expected to play on Saturday.

I reckon, reading between the lines, he could have played yesterday and they decided not to risk him, which worked out well.

And yeah I know some folk will say, but Brook played well. And he did but aside from the general butterfly effect, Stokes in a tense chase is pretty good, so I’ve heard. Ah well.