• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in 2028 Olympics

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but Olympic committee have chosen to go down that route, so cricket being the second biggest sport should not deprive itself of the Olympics if tennis, football and other sports where there are bigger prizes outside the Olympics are participating..

Also we do need another platform to grow the game , Olympics is perfect platform we should have done this earlier imo, Usain Bolt could have helped promote cricket a lot at the Olympics in his prime (still can) , who knows if cricket becomes a Olympic sport then maybe big nations like China, USA will start taking more genuine interest in developing since they are obsessed with winning as many medals as possible at these Games lol.
It’s one medal plus they know they’ll never win - China won’t really bother.

Ali TT

International Regular
GB won't have a strong team as it clashes with our domestic season.
Only an issue if we still have a meaningful, top-tier domestic tournament in late summer like the Hundred.

The Asian Games just finished up it's cricket tournament at the same time as the start of the World Cup. There's enough pros to go around.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Good question. The 50 over matches played at the Commonwealth Games in 1998 didn’t, presumably because the competition included some teams which do not have ODI status, notably the individual Caribbean islands.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly I don’t see the point of having cricket in the olympics. No where near as much competive nations for cricket compared to the other sports. But olympics does seem to be adding a lot more sports lately I remember seeing rock climbing in the last olympics
Indian tv money

_Ed_

Good question. The 50 over matches played at the Commonwealth Games in 1998 didn’t, presumably because the competition included some teams which do not have ODI status, notably the individual Caribbean islands.
Yeah, but the women's T20s in the Birmingham Commonwealth Games last year did have T20I status, so who knows?

ataraxia

International Coach
The Asian Games tournament was T20Is, even though the Big 4 sent through A teams. The only real setback is the whole GB/England thing, though I do doubt they will want to select any Irish or Scots.

flibbertyjibber

GB won't have a strong team as it clashes with our domestic season.
Could be a bunch of old men or kids making up our team. Doubt we'd send any test players but Buttler as a veteran as a last hurrah could easily be around still and be a good opportunity to blood a few youngsters to give them a taste of top level cricket.

flibbertyjibber

How do they even decide which teams? Some kind of qualifying tournament? Will those games be T20Is?
Gonna be a bunfight of a qualifying tournament to get there. Where and when they fit it in though is up for debate in an already congested schedule.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Would expect they'll be counted as legit T20is.

Pretty sure the host would be an automatic qualifier, so that leaves 5 spots left. Read somewhere that the IOC gets the final word on the qualification process, so guessing it'll probably be regional like the other sports.

2 from Asia, 1 from Europe, 1 from Africa and 1 from Oceania and the USA.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Pretty sure the host would be an automatic qualifier, so that leaves 5 spots left. Read somewhere that the IOC gets the final word on the qualification process, so guessing it'll probably be regional like the other sports.
Really?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Asian Games tournament was T20Is, even though the Big 4 sent through A teams. The only real setback is the whole GB/England thing, though I do doubt they will want to select any Irish or Scots.
Just give GB, any West Indian islands, T20I status just for this tournament. Seems simple enough to me