• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Otherwise mediocre players who were aesthetic af

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not sure if he's mediocre but Darren Gough as a batsman had a sweet cover drive. Lovely bowling action too

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Zak Crawley kind of belongs here. Though his batting often goes from aesthetic af to resembling Adam Sanford's batting in the space of a few balls.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Good call

Fine player but not close to Ross Taylor who has received more mentions

Fleming spent most of his career unable to capitalise upon starts because he was style over substance
I was actually referring to his slip catching - he had bucket hands.

He was a very graceful left hander who underachieved though due to his conversion rate and record at home. Fleming was underachieving, but far from not mediocre. Also one of cricket's greatest captains.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Good call

Fine player but not close to Ross Taylor who has received more mentions

Fleming spent most of his career unable to capitalise upon starts because he was style over substance
He was referring to Fleming as an ATG slip fielder

Although tbf there is something to be said for both positions (Fleming being an ATG slipper and Fleming being an aesthetic underachiever with the bat)

Edit: FP has already addressed this, why wouldn't I just read the next couple of posts in the thread ffs

thierry henry

International Coach
There was another thread recently about great cover drivers actually, and it made me seek out some Fleming highlights because in my memory he was a very elegant cover driver, particularly earlier in his career. However on review he seemed to be very leg side dominated, so maybe it was all in my head.

Kinda similar to Ross Taylor actually who was a very nice driver through the off-side but got crabbier and crabbier as his career went on and scored most of his runs through either cutting off off-stump or nudging it into the leg side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There was another thread recently about great cover drivers actually, and it made me seek out some Fleming highlights because in my memory he was a very elegant cover driver, particularly earlier in his career. However on review he seemed to be very leg side dominated, so maybe it was all in my head.

Kinda similar to Ross Taylor actually who was a very nice driver through the off-side but got crabbier and crabbier as his career went on and scored most of his runs through either cutting off off-stump or nudging it into the leg side.
The carcinisation of Ross Taylor.

1694733037068.png