• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should have won that easily, but once against Southee was there to stink up the joint with his 7 overs going at nearly 10 at over.

Great to see Boulty back, class act.

Frost

U19 Debutant
As NZ fans, we're probably going to have to wear some collapses at the World Cup. Absolutely no ground floor to our batting. The lift plummets from above.
Ravindra won't be in the first choice line up I'm guessing, which means that spot will go to a front line batter and can't see Allen getting the spot in India. Chapman, Neesham will come in or even Bowes up top and everyone move down one. If in doubt just pick Nicholas the guy is so unfashionable but he does a job.

Zinzan

As NZ fans, we're probably going to have to wear some collapses at the World Cup. Absolutely no ground floor to our batting. The lift plummets from above.
Not really, it becomes a different side with KW back in the 50 over batting line up. You then have quite a bit of cake with Young, Conway, KW, Mitchell & Latham as your top 5.

Ali TT

International Regular
Outrageous swings in fortune in this tour. At one moment one side looks all set and the other in total free fall just weeks ahead of the WC, then a game later it's swapped. Basically don't read too much into the results at this stage.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It is harsh on Young, but I'd rather open with Neesham at the World Cup to give some initial run rate boost and death bowling. The XI I'd like to see

Neesham
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Milne (if fit - otherwise Ferguson)
Henry
Boult

+
Young
Ravindra
Sodhi
Ferguson/Southee (depending on Milne)

Frost

U19 Debutant
It is harsh on Young, but I'd rather open with Neesham at the World Cup to give some initial run rate boost and death bowling. The XI I'd like to see

Neesham
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Henry
Boult

+
Young
Ravindra
Sodhi
Harsh is a understatement. Average 47 with a SR of 90.
If your going down the "quick runs at the top" then Allen may as well be the choice(although I don't think he's there yet in 50 over) I'm a fan of Neesham but if he's in the team it's for Ravindra or Chapman.
The team is fine. It's odi cricket. Teams do this, the whole series has swung from thrashing to thrashing.

Zinzan

Neesham
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Chapman
Santner
Henry
Boult

+
Young
Ravindra
Sodhi
Disagree, Neesham isn't an opener. Been tried before and failed & as Frost mentions Young has been nothing but a success in ODIs and looks a class act.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Young
Conway
Kane
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Nesham/Chapman
Satner
Southee
Ferguson/Henry
Boult
It's a pretty stacked lineup. Absolutely no worries. I think it's a better balanced side than previous years tbh.
There are extra batters around the squad and a few all-rounders waiting. Plenty of options and scope for change if necessary

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ravindra won't be in the first choice line up I'm guessing, which means that spot will go to a front line batter and can't see Allen getting the spot in India. Chapman, Neesham will come in or even Bowes up top and everyone move down one. If in doubt just pick Nicholas the guy is so unfashionable but he does a job.
They've got balance issues with this side. They cant play another frontline batter in the top 7 unless they decide Mitchell and Phillips can bowl 10 between them on a consistent basis. It looks like Santner is going to have to bat 7 (one spot too high) then go three seamers and Sodhi. Chapman won't be in the Cup squad if he isn't seem as a bowling option

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Young
Conway
Kane
Mitchell
Latham
Phillips
Nesham/Chapman
Satner
Southee
Ferguson/Henry
Boult
It's a pretty stacked lineup. Absolutely no worries. I think it's a better balanced side than previous years tbh.
There are extra batters around the squad and a few all-rounders waiting. Plenty of options and scope for change if necessary
I don't mind Neesham at 7 in theory, he was wonderful there in 2019. Just not sure what version exists in 2023

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Southee wasn’t good enough to make the starting 11 at the WC four years ago….yet he’s still perpetually in the mix. An absolute cart horse in white ball cricket, just donkey drop cannon fodder. I’m also not sold on Latham - you’ve got two starters that can take the gloves, he’s a good red ball cricketer but he’s mostly not much chop in white ball cricket; a typical nothing score from him today. He’s needed for his ‘leadership’ apparently. If a couple of the guys who really stood up in 2019 don’t make the cut because they are taking Southee and Latham then it’s a pretty poor show.