• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Other stuff

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This opening ceremony is definitely french.
I missed it but presume it included swarthy men in berets and stripey shirts brandishing white flags, smelly cheese and baguettes whilst smoking Gitanes and pissing in public? That kinda thing?

ripper868

International Coach
I missed it but presume it included swarthy men in berets and stripey shirts brandishing white flags, smelly cheese and baguettes whilst smoking Gitanes and pissing in public? That kinda thing?
Many baguettes being delivered, circus atmosphere, twirling, twirling, a floating beret and an Eiffel tower and it went on about 10 minutes more than it needed to.

Probably not worth a watch on catch up tbf.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The anthems were ****ing terrible as well. La Marseillaise is 2nd only to Italy's anthem IMO and they absolutely ****ed it.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah the accapella anthem thing is just...not it.

The Italian one just now, which is a great anthem, just wasn't.

Ali TT

International Regular
Yeah the accapella anthem thing is just...not it.

The Italian one just now, which is a great anthem, just wasn't.

It's nice they got kids choirs to sing them, albeit recorded, but it's wrecking the power and passion these anthems provide.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year

It's nice they got kids choirs to sing them, albeit recorded, but it's wrecking the power and passion these anthems provide.
Speaking as someone from a country with a naff anthem, it's at least kind of leveled the passion playing field!!

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Before the weekend, the rankings had:

6 Argentina
7 Fiji
8 England
9 Australia
10 Wales

Now its

6 England
7 Australia
8 Wales
9 Fiji
10 Argentina

Losing/Winnings by 15 points or more in a World Cup game creates big changes. Scotland are barely above England now and will probably be below by the end of the group stages.

World Rugby Rankings calculator (rawling.github.io)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm falling into YouTube rabbit holes on why the Ireland attack is so effective. I sometimes get a bit obsessed with sports teams that do something new and special - the Guardiola Barca team and the Klopp Dortmund team in football, the Bazball England team. But I think this is the first time it's happened with a team I already supported.

Once it's pointed out that they're structuring plays to send the entire defence to the wrong side of the ruck you see it all the time and it's beautiful.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One thing I will say for this World Cup is it looks like the scheduling has been dramatically improved from previous installments. I can't see any obvious instances of the 4-day turnarounds that plagued previous installments. In fact, I'm struggling to find any 5 day turnarounds - even for the true minnows. Good stuff.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing I will say for this World Cup is it looks like the scheduling has been dramatically improved from previous installments. I can't see any obvious instances of the 4-day turnarounds that plagued previous installments. In fact, I'm struggling to find any 5 day turnarounds - even for the true minnows. Good stuff.
The only issue with this is that we have a 53 day World Cup, that's just too long. I think there's one too many teams in each pool who are just whipping boys. Lose that game and you get rid of the rather daft week off that all teams are getting.

Uppercut

Slowing the tournament down is a good thing on balance IMO. Makes injuries less decisive. 4 team groups with a week’s break before the knockouts might be the way to go.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Slowing the tournament down is a good thing on balance IMO. Makes injuries less decisive. 4 team groups with a week’s break before the knockouts might be the way to go.
Not sure, injuries in rugby normally seem to take more than a month to resolve. 3 hookers injured in the last week who are all out of the tournament. Don't see how a week's break really helps other than allow the public to lose interest.

I think they need to find a schedule that allows a game every day and doesn't have weekends (like this one) with a load of one sided matches.

Uppercut

That's just because in a World Cup those are the only injuries the players don't push themselves through. But you often end up with poor quality rugby in the knockouts where at least one side is clearly too banged up to do themselves justice.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure, injuries in rugby normally seem to take more than a month to resolve. 3 hookers injured in the last week who are all out of the tournament. Don't see how a week's break really helps other than allow the public to lose interest.

I think they need to find a schedule that allows a game every day and doesn't have weekends (like this one) with a load of one sided matches.
Think it would be ideal to have matches across thursday friday saturday sunday right?

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Think it would be ideal to have matches across thursday friday saturday sunday right?
They seem to have got that - but looking at last week, Thurs and Fri were both one sided affairs.

The coming weekend does have at least 3 decent games.

What's clear though is that the dop off in the rankings when you go below about 16 is quite stark. Cricket chose to remove those sides from its World Cup. I'm still not sure which is the right way to go.

Niall

International Coach
The only issue with this is that we have a 53 day World Cup, that's just too long. I think there's one too many teams in each pool who are just whipping boys. Lose that game and you get rid of the rather daft week off that all teams are getting.

Its not perfect but getting rid of more minnows?