• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think we've had this discussion before and while I find it hard to get truly emotionally invested in ODI results, I maintain that attending an ODI is about as good a day as you can have at the cricket
The old 40 over county cricket was my absolute favourite white ball format.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The old 40 over county cricket was my absolute favourite white ball format.
I'm trying to work out whether you're old enough to remember the John Player League, or whether they used 40 overs for some version of the knockout cup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm trying to work out whether you're old enough to remember the John Player League, or whether they used 40 overs for some version of the knockout cup.
The Pro40, it was the only List A competition for a bit wasn't it?

Gets a lot of credit for our ODI success with this generation. A complete accident of course, not by design, but.

And I'll admit something I'd never given much thought to until @Ali TT mentioned it and since then it's been in a couple of books I've read but also I started listening to Jarrod Kimber's podcast on @honestbharani and @dontcloseyoureyes recommendation and he's brought it up too.

Pothas

They still had Sunday league when I was a kid but then 40 overs became the one day format for a while. Is now seen as an important part in how England developed, Buttler, Morgan, Hales etc all played a lot of it early in their careers.

Pothas

Yep. As @GIMH just said.

First time I ever saw Moeen he scored a hundred in a 40 over game. Must have been about 2008.

Pothas

The Pro40, it was the only List A competition for a bit wasn't it?

Gets a lot of credit for our ODI success with this generation. A complete accident of course, not by design, but.

And I'll admit something I'd never given much thought to until @Ali TT mentioned it and since then it's been in a couple of books I've read but also I started listening to Jarrod Kimber's podcast on @honestbharani and @dontcloseyoureyes recommendation and he's brought it up too.
Yeah tons of people complained about it at the time

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Yes, remarkably, in 2010-13 the only county List A competition was over 40 overs with no ODI standard 50 overs at all.

A mischievous comparison would be that the innings length of this comparison was 80% of the international standard while the hundred has 83% of the balls of a T20.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Willey looks so ordinary much of the time. 84 wickets in 65 matches doesn't strike me as a great return for someone who usually takes the new ball.

91Jmay

International Coach
Great ball. Spin to win, Topley and Willey abysmally bad given NZ showed how to bowl seam until we had a late burst

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I suspect that the argument against was that it wasn't the same number of overs as as ODIs.
It felt like a credible argument at the time, given how poor we were at ODIs.

Seem to recall 45 overs being the standard in one competition at a certain point?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It felt like a credible argument at the time, given how poor we were at ODIs.

Seem to recall 45 overs being the standard in one competition at a certain point?
Ah, you're asking the wrong person. I can tell you about the 40 over JPL, 60 over Gillette Cup and 55 over B&H cup in the 1970s. Beyond that and I'm struggling. Typing that, it seems extraordinary that 2 of the comps were sponsored by tobacco companies in those days.