• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh I agree, it's perfect ODI batting, Buttler especially.

I still deeply care about ODIs, I know I'm not particularly in the majority there. I still have a romanticism for them, that I guess is borne out of watching so many in person and on TV in my upbringing. I think part of that is I can still see the relevance in a strong ODI career, I can read the stats and think yep, that person is a great ODI player. In T20, I have no idea what metric to give a **** about or what level of that metric=greatness.
I think we've had this discussion before and while I find it hard to get truly emotionally invested in ODI results, I maintain that attending an ODI is about as good a day as you can have at the cricket

kevinw

International 12th Man
Stokes playing as a batter really messes England's balance up but I wonder whether they can play Livingstone and Mo at 6-7 in the WC or whether it's an either/or. That means it's your two openers (one of whom could be Malan), Root, Stokes, then Buttler, which might be more of an accumulating top order than an explosive one.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Stokes playing as a batter really messes England's balance up but I wonder whether they can play Livingstone and Mo at 6-7 in the WC or whether it's an either/or. That means it's your two openers (one of whom could be Malan), Root, Stokes, then Buttler, which might be more of an accumulating top order than an explosive one.
Depends on the pitches and how much will they use Root.

Cos going to need 3 frontline spinners at times. If you don’t you can play Curran as the 7 instead and drop Moeen.

91Jmay

International Coach
If you're opening with Bairstow and Roy that isn't really accumulating. If you pick Malan moreso.

kevinw

International 12th Man
If you're opening with Bairstow and Roy that isn't really accumulating. If you pick Malan moreso.
Chances are they will open with those two, but they could go with Malan up top, but that would be three steady Eddies in a row.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Got away with it, bad no ball. Livingstone got such a limited range of shots still.
As Doull was saying the other day he premeditates a lot and tries to smash most legside into the crowd. So his timing is usually appalling.

David Wilkey has had the same problem. Why a guy who could open the batting bats so low.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh I agree, it's perfect ODI batting, Buttler especially.

I still deeply care about ODIs, I know I'm not particularly in the majority there. I still have a romanticism for them, that I guess is borne out of watching so many in person and on TV in my upbringing. I think part of that is I can still see the relevance in a strong ODI career, I can read the stats and think yep, that person is a great ODI player. In T20, I have no idea what metric to give a **** about or what level of that metric=greatness.
Why is it perfect ODI batting on a good pitch, England have been scoring closer to 350 on these type of pitches than 300 for about 6 years, we've been flat in this innings including Buttler for his high standards,

If the Kiwis struggle fair enough, but I think we're short, and even if not we're not quite the same batting outfit we were. Or it maybe an off-day.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As Doull was saying the other day he premeditates a lot and tries to smash most legside into the crowd. So his timing is usually appalling.

David Wilkey has had the same problem. Why a guy who could open the batting bats so low.
great swimmer though