• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Molehill

International Captain
Weird innings from Root, never looked comfortable. Seems like the ball is sticking in the pitch a bit for Ravindra.

91Jmay

International Coach
Ravindra looks like he'll be useful in India. Looks a pretty meh pitch but you basically always need 280 in modern odis. Jos and Stokes getting time at the crease feels a good thing.

Brook failed audition badly and Root could do with some white ball runs.

Atkinson has a chance to put pressure on Wood

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nicholls hasn't passed 50 against a major nation since before COVID hit our shores...but here he is, at 3, meaning Stead is thinking about picking him in our best XI for the World Cup when Kane isn't there. Wonderful.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Ravindra looks like he'll be useful in India. Looks a pretty meh pitch but you basically always need 280 in modern odis. Jos and Stokes getting time at the crease feels a good thing.

Brook failed audition badly and Root could do with some white ball runs.

Atkinson has a chance to put pressure on Wood
Why not both Wood and Atkinson.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a spinner who has had good success in IPL. Atkinson has played 2 list A games in his career.
He can't even get a bowl in the IPL and his ODI bowling has been awful since the last WC. He really doesn't offer more than Livingstone with the ball now. Pick a better spinner imo.

91Jmay

International Coach
I know I talk up ODIs as still relevant, but these last few overs have been pretty boring as a holding period.
Bit of a throwback innings. Reckon it's playing the conditions pretty well.

Outside of world cups I find it impossible to care about ODIs, same as most of the sides seem to.

91Jmay

International Coach
He can't even get a bowl in the IPL and his ODI bowling has been awful since the last WC. He really doesn't offer more than Livingstone with the ball now. Pick a better spinner imo.
His IPL record with the ball is solid, when it spins he usually bowls a couple of overs a game.

He's a good option to have at 7 with bat and ball.

Don't see another spinning all rounder who offers more. Rehan is way too green

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of a throwback innings. Reckon it's playing the conditions pretty well.

Outside of world cups I find it impossible to care about ODIs, same as most of the sides seem to.
Oh I agree, it's perfect ODI batting, Buttler especially.

I still deeply care about ODIs, I know I'm not particularly in the majority there. I still have a romanticism for them, that I guess is borne out of watching so many in person and on TV in my upbringing. I think part of that is I can still see the relevance in a strong ODI career, I can read the stats and think yep, that person is a great ODI player. In T20, I have no idea what metric to give a **** about or what level of that metric=greatness.

91Jmay

International Coach

I still deeply care about ODIs, I know I'm not particularly in the majority there. I still have a romanticism for them, that I guess is borne out of watching so many in person and on TV in my upbringing. I think part of that is I can still see the relevance in a strong ODI career, I can read the stats and think yep, that person is a great ODI player. In T20, I have no idea what metric to give a **** about or what level of that metric=greatness.
Yeah they've tried some average + strike rate stuff haven't they but obviously pitfalls there.

T20 is more just eyetest on skillset and performing in big games probably

91Jmay

International Coach
Decent for Stokes to get some balls, he looked OKish.

Ravindra likely to make squad as 3rd spinner? Santner/Sodhi front line I'm guessing.

Yeoman

U19 Captain

To revive ODIs as a spectacle distinct from T20 we need to give something back to the bowlers or it becomes a hitting contest which can pall when extended over 50 overs. I am open to one new ball, longer boundaries, no power plays more helpful wickets or anything else that would help achieve this.