• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ollie White picks up the last Otago contract according to Margot Butcher on Twitter
It's just ridiculous at this point. Never has nepotism been more blatant. Can anyone point out what Ollie White has ever done at any level to get to anywhere he has - NZ U19, NZ XI, this contract spot etc? Apart from 80 v Japan? Honestly, I want to know if I've missed anything.

And I hate the word fizzed, he used in that video above. I feel like this is all an elaborate delayed April Fool's joke to wind me up

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a paywall on a couple of ODT articles I'm interested in - firstly the one about him getting the contract so I can see what sort of form prompted it, but also one about an application for discharge from conviction that was denied in April.

Flem274*

123/5
There is a paywall on a couple of ODT articles I'm interested in - firstly the one about him getting the contract so I can see what sort of form prompted it, but also one about an application for discharge from conviction that was denied in April.
wait, the sporty son of the CEO didn't get the 'promising sportsman' bum pat?

even the courts don't rate him lol

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Nice to see the Super Smash schedule coming this Sunday.

I'm struggling to see how it fits in the calendar. It shouldn't drag into February (& I'd really hate it if it did). I think even with the 51-day clear window, it's a tight squeeze to make it fit in the mid-December to late-January window into which it should ideally fit. To make it fit, there'll have to be weekday games, & more afternoon-to-primetime games at the grounds that can host them. I expect one, maybe two of CD's matchdays at McLean, & perhaps one of Auckland's inside Eden Park. Of the 8 T20Is this summer, 5 of them are primetime games, which leave those daytimes free for SS.

I expect to be wrong with my theories, but here they are.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
A look on Auckland Cricket's Instagram shows I'm already wrong on one theory. All Auckland home games are at the Outer Oval.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Nice to see the Super Smash schedule coming this Sunday.

I'm struggling to see how it fits in the calendar. It shouldn't drag into February (& I'd really hate it if it did). I think even with the 51-day clear window, it's a tight squeeze to make it fit in the mid-December to late-January window into which it should ideally fit. To make it fit, there'll have to be weekday games, & more afternoon-to-primetime games at the grounds that can host them. I expect one, maybe two of CD's matchdays at McLean, & perhaps one of Auckland's inside Eden Park. Of the 8 T20Is this summer, 5 of them are primetime games, which leave those daytimes free for SS.

I expect to be wrong with my theories, but here they are.
I just had a look at the schedule.

What I Got Right:
  • It's going from mid Dec to late Jan (19/12 to 28/1), fitting into a 41-day window
  • There are weekday games, lots of them
  • At least 9 games are scheduled for primetime, & even these games scheduled for 4:30pm will go pretty late (though they're a bit curious, since the times are given in NZST & we'll be in NZDST by then)
  • Two CD matchdays will be at McLean, 8 & 10 Jan
What I Got Wrong:
  • No games inside Eden Park.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cobham Oval misses out again. :( We really don't get much of a look in when we're competing with Seddon and Bay Oval.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Ollie White scores 10 for Otago XI thus guaranteeing his place in the team for this season. Jamal Todd opening for Otago. Seem to recall he’s been one of the more consistent age group batsmen over the last couple of seasons

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ollie White scores 10 for Otago XI thus guaranteeing his place in the team for this season. Jamal Todd opening for Otago. Seem to recall he’s been one of the more consistent age group batsmen over the last couple of seasons
Two of the Dubai T20 (or was it T10)'s finest. Plus David White now the CEO. Lovely stuff.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Only a couple of days away from the start of the PS now so who are you hoping have big seasons. I’d love to see Foxcroft pile on the runs and for Will O’Rourke to continue the form he showed for NZA.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will O'Rourke absolutely. Several other often-injured young quick bowlers too - Sears, Smith, Fisher, Shipley and probably some I've forgotten. Fast bowlers are what NZ will need in the next couple of years.

We also lack depth in spin bowling - would love to see someone emerge that *could* play for NZ in a few years. I don't know who is even a genuine candidate other than Ashok. So Ashok plus one more pls.

It's all about teh bowlers.

Chubb

International Regular
Nathan Smith to fulfill his destiny and play for NZ this summer.

For those of you who haven’t been here long enough to catch one of the several times I’ve mentioned this, we were teammates in the North Otago second grade in 2010-11.