• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

jcas0167

International Debutant
CD

JACK BOYLE**HAWKE'S BAYRIGHT-HAND BATSMAN
DOUG BRACEWELLHAWKE'S BAYRIGHT-ARM PACE ALLROUNDER
TOM BRUCETARANAKIRIGHT-HAND BATSMAN, RIGHT ARM OFF-SPIN
WILL CLARK*HAWKE'S BAYRIGHT-ARM PACE ALLROUNDER
JOSH CLARKSONNELSONRIGHT-ARM PACE ALLROUNDER
DANE CLEAVERMANAWATUWICKETKEEPER, RIGHT-HAND BATSMAN
LIAM DUDDINGHAWKE'S BAYRIGHT-ARM PACE BOWLER
JOEY FIELDHAWKE'S BAYRIGHT-ARM ALLROUNDER
GREG HAYNELSONRIGHT-HAND BATSMAN
JAYDEN LENNOXHAWKE'S BAYLEFT-ARM OFF-SPIN
AJAZ PATELHAWKE'S BAYLEFT-ARM OFF SPIN
BRETT RANDELL-RIGHT-ARM PACE ALLROUNDER
BRAD SCHMULIANHAWKE'S BAYRIGHT-HAND BATSMAN, RIGHT ARM LEG-SPIN
RAY TOOLEMANAWATULEFT-ARM PACE BOWLER
BAYLEY WIGGINSHAWKE'S BAYWICKETKEEPER, RIGHT-HAND BATSMAN

Out: Ma'ara Ave, Seth Rance (injured), Curtis Heaphy, Ben Smith, Tickner (central contract)
In: Boyle, Clark, Patel (no longer centrally contracted)
A shame 19 yr old Heaphy lost his contract although didn't really fire last season. Hopefully he bounces back.

Flem274*

123/5
Will Young has signed for 3 red ball games at Notts.

I like it. His career could go either way atm and NZC is determined to make him open, so he needs lots and lots of batting.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Young has signed for 3 red ball games at Notts.

I like it. His career could go either way atm and NZC is determined to make him open, so he needs lots and lots of batting.
You still think they want him or see him as an opener?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
How did Rhys Mariu down at Canterbury not pickup a contract? Surely every single province his offering him there last spot.
Yeah, that's extraordinary, really.

I know it's based on only half a seasons evidence, but he looked a ready-made real deal.

I assume he'll be their 16th, but sheesh.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
There's a few really promising young cricketers in Otago, a couple of the most interesting uncontracted players,IMO.

Dominated Dunedin club cricket , done well in A or Hawke Cup cricket or provincial underage tournaments. One even excelled at an U19 world cup.

None of that describes Ollie White.

ataraxia

International Coach
did mariu and wheeler-greenall get picked up?

because they ****ing should, especially the former.
Mariu did, but there really wasn't any room for Wheeler-Greenall. He looks insufficient besides the Tendulkar of NZ U19s (most capped), the noted squad member in an international T20 league, the truest form of a great cricketing family (which is good for the game), and on a completely irrelevant the subject of a certain condition the outgoing NZC CEO made benevolently so he could finally be persuaded to step down ... ladies and gentlemen, Ollie White.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I've just had a look at the PS & FT schedules.

It's the standard template: Early Plunket, Ford Trophy Pt.1, a gap where Super Smash will go, Ford Trophy Pt.2, Late Plunket.

No surprises there. The surprise in this season's schedule is that the "Super Smash Gap" is 51 days, completely clear, unlike last season where one-day games were happening midweek. Even the women's schedule is clear too. I have a couple of theories behind that, but they'll have to wait until the SS schedule comes out (probably near the end of the month).

I still think the Pakistan T20s is a stupid move from NZC. Wilfully wasting an opportunity to invest in the domestic game by having all BCs available for Super Smash, boosting its profile in its first season completely FTA &, frankly, giving it centre-stage in January in a rare opportunity for domestic cricket. In my view, upstaging it for JAMT20s is dumb. Certainly in my "Fantasy NZ Home Summer", January would be kept clear for SS - as it can't rely on overseas stars like the BBL, having our own stars playing in it is more important. At this rate, it'll likely be only guys like Wagner & Blundell playing the whole of SS (with that said, I loved seeing Wagner play; I'd love to see him in a Super Smash All-Stars T20 squad).

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Sears and Fisher getting contracts despite being injury prone means there must be at least some chance their recoveries are on track (???). Fingers crossed. With Severin, Foulkes, Abbas, Clark, Sunde, Keene, MHay, Parkes and a few others as the younger players, the future of batting and seam-bowling allrounders looks promising ((if the allrounders don't all get injured). Bowling less-so, we are really reliant on a couple of names to come through for NZ.

The only name listed above that I hadn't seen before is Harjot Johal - seam bowler in early 20s. Didn't know Fletcher moving to Auckland either.
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU2...warded-as-202324-aces-contracts-announced.htm
Harjot Johal is another guy I play indoor cricket against, expect me to bring that up about another 1,000 times if he ever does anything