• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Brian Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Its not meaningless but requires context. e.g If you had someone dominating their era are they better than someone who wasn’t dominant or were there just less high quality players playing at that time.

e.g Steyn vs 80’s/90’s pacers
I think there are those who dominated but also those recognized as the top 1/2 best of their era, like Ambrose/Wasim and Tendulkar/Lara.

kyear2

International Coach
At his absolute best still think Lara was the greatest ever, but he wasn't there as often as others.

Have to go with Smith on this one.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Yes, this would be over both Weekes and Sobers, who are the only 2 batsmen that really get close to Smith, imo.
I have to ask. But was Weekes really a better batsman than Walcott? They both sucked away to the two good teams of their times but Walcott managed to absolutely murder two atg England and Australia bowling attacks in back to back series. Something Weekes didn't come close to.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I have to ask. But was Weekes really a better batsman than Walcott? They both sucked away to the two good teams of their times but Walcott managed to absolutely murder two atg England and Australia bowling attacks in back to back series. Something Weekes didn't come close to.
Unfortunately, with pre professional era players, you always run into sample size issues, and Weekes is no different. However, he got centuries against all sides, and some really nice performances against England in particular. Yes, he bashed on India, New Zealand, and Pakistan, but that to me is just to be expected. The overall career profile for mine is simply of a batsman who would score prolifically against anyone, although not infallible against the very best sides. Well duh, no batsman was except Bradman.

Edit: The big part of it was also the look. He was perfect at getting onto the back foot, while also playing very, very late while absolutely bludgeoning the ball, especially to all parts of the leg side. Those factors make him, to me, the closest replication of the style of Bradman that I've seen in any batsman. It was also necessary to have that type of style to be as prolific of a boundary scorer as he was, which given the bats of the day, was not an easy feat. A lot of other run scorers of that period given that tool in hand, would look to accumulate via deflections and glances and the like. But to me batsmanship is about putting the middle of willow cleanly on leather, consistently. I think Weekes did it the BBB.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
Lara was the best batsman I watched throughout his career. However, even with a smaller sampling of viewing Smith, Weekes, and Sobers, I can say their best did look better than Lara's extremely formidable best.
You actually saw Weekes bat?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara was the best batsman I watched throughout his career. However, even with a smaller sampling of viewing Smith, Weekes, and Sobers, I can say their best did look better than Lara's extremely formidable best.
I have seen almost the entirety of Steve Smith's career and I think Lara is the better test batsman.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The further back you go into, and past the wars, the less certain you can be of the quality of bowling these greats of old had to face. I'm certainly never going to place players of which there is literally no footage, into this conversation, regardless of their numbers. Even the Don has some very impressive footage out there. Anyone before him, unfortunately, but as befits the march of time is out of the conversation in my mind.