• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was 2-2 a fair result?

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
If you take the rain out of the equation, and England play inches better earlier in the series it's an easy 4-1 win.
Ancient history now but overall England were the better team and 2-2 seems flattering for the Aussies.
I tend to agree but another way of looking at it is that England were 0-2 after the first two Test matches...so they were coming from a long way back and did indeed finish strong.

2-2 is is fair with England probably being slightly better but again that start probably cost them.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah, and fans from neither team have gone overboard with complaining about our complaints. They have complaint envy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I thought the clip posted by Burgey was funny but some of these quotes are bizarre

Insecure bunch it seems

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought the clip posted by Burgey was funny but some of these quotes are bizarre

Insecure bunch it seems
I find it pretty funny from this side of the fence. I mean, you could see what Cummins attitude was towards the horseshit that was going on during the series so making fun of it in the way he has is no surprise. There's also the fact that The Grade Cricketer is a show that pokes fun at a lot of things in cricket, and most of the guests on the show approach it with that in mind.

I don't find these quotes any more bizarre than most of what England trotted out during the series. The only difference being, they were apparently not joking.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it pretty funny from this side of the fence. I mean, you could see what Cummins attitude was towards the horse**** that was going on during the series so making fun of it in the way he has is no surprise. There's also the fact that The Grade Cricketer is a show that pokes fun at a lot of things in cricket, and most of the guests on the show approach it with that in mind.

I don't find these quotes any more bizarre than most of what England trotted out during the series. The only difference being, they were apparently not joking.
I find it bizarre that it's still being discussed - haven't we moved on yet?

Strikes me that the Grade Cricketer should've tried to stay relevant at the time rather than waiting for the players to return home after they'd been swanning around the Mediterranean.

Son Of Coco

I find it bizarre that it's still being discussed - haven't we moved on yet?

Strikes me that the Grade Cricketer should've tried to stay relevant at the time rather than waiting for the players to return home after they'd been swanning around the Mediterranean.
They were talking about it at the time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And they're still talking about it now.

Just out of interest, do they ask any of the Aussie players "how do you feel about ****ing up a 2-0 lead and blowing the chance to win in England for the first time in 22 years"?
The lack of context, and associated dishonesty, in Hazelwood's quote about the 2-2 is remarkable really. I wouldn't have been happy with 2-2 before the series. Hell, I wouldn't have been happy with it after Lord's. But to come from 2 down and the tie the series against the so-called world champions is something it's okay to be pleased about. Jesus go look at the match thread around 3pm on day 1 of Headingley when 5-0 was apparently inevitable.

It was a cracking series and even though rain saved them in the 4th, I stand by 2-2 being fair because if we win at OT everything after there potentially changes. But the quotes attached to these players just make them look like they're deflecting. Embarrassing, frankly.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
The lack of context, and associated dishonesty, in Hazelwood's quote about the 2-2 is remarkable really. I wouldn't have been happy with 2-2 before the series. Hell, I wouldn't have been happy with it after Lord's. But to come from 2 down and the tie the series against the so-called world champions is something it's okay to be pleased about. Jesus go look at the match thread around 3pm on day 1 of Headingley when 5-0 was apparently inevitable.

It was a cracking series and even though rain saved them in the 4th, I stand by 2-2 being fair because if we win at OT everything after there potentially changes. But the quotes attached to these players just make them look like they're deflecting. Embarrassing, frankly.
I particularly like Starc referencing the Women's Ashes and Football World Cup. The Women were expected to obliterate England in the Ashes (in which his own wife had a mare of a series) whilst the the Aussies got knocked out by England in the Football. What planet is he on?

You're right, it's all about deflecting the fact they threw away a 2-0 lead which had largely been gifted to them anyway.

Son Of Coco

More or less embarrassing than England's carry on during the series?

It's funny how the English always get stroppy when anyone else taps into their Bants™.

Son Of Coco

And they're still talking about it now.

Just out of interest, do they ask any of the Aussie players "how do you feel about ****ing up a 2-0 lead and blowing the chance to win in England for the first time in 22 years"?
It would've been their first chance to interview the players since The Ashes.

As if they wouldn't ask them about it.